FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting C strings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Converting C strings? Reply with quote

Kris,

How do I print a C string (char*) using Mango.io? It doesn't appear you have any toString method available to convert C type strings ( Can't output a C string with Stdout or print ). Ares doesn't have any of those either. I'm avoiding Phobos, but it appears to be the only library that supports that.

Thanks.

-JJR
kris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question ... how would you like to see it supported?

We could add a function to return an array slice from the C string? We could add explicit support to the (printf) formatting routine ~ perhaps a ?S (uppercase)?

The gnarly way to do it is this: Println (cString [0 .. strlen(cString)]);
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I would like to see it. It's pretty simple to implement, I guess. Smile

?S sounds good.

It actually looks like Socket.d uses the strlen() method (I thought of that... but I didn't think it looked too pretty). That will do for now, but I would be nice to have some smooth integration with the current io methods: both Stdout and print?

Code:
char* msg = "Hello there!";
Stdout (msg) (CR);

Formatting would be a bonus.

Thanks,

John
kris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it some more, I'm a bit loath to add support into Reader/Writer for char* + wchar* + dchar*. I like to keep those guys completely symmetric in terms of data types, and the pointer types stand out a bit. Also, it's not entirely clear if Stdout should write a C string or just a 32bit pointer address?

I wonder if, in the above case, it would not be better to provide a c.string module with various appropriate functions exposed therein?

On the other hand, the printf formatting should probably handle C-style char*, wchar*, and dchar* correctly in conjunction with a ?s ~ its job is ostensibly to format things ... there's not much of an excuse there Smile

Thus, you'd be able to use C strings directly with Print, Println, Error, Stdout.format(), and the Sprint variations?
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you're right. I don't really need to have it integrated into Stdout. It's overkill and could lead to more trouble than it's worth. A simple solution is just to make use of a global toString method that does the job (like phobos). I've added the basic functions to my project toolbox.

Code:
char *p = "Hello!";
Stdout (.toString(p)) (CR);

was all I really needed. If you could add a couple of global methods to Mango, I think that would work: one for char* toStringz(char[]) and the other char[] toString(char*). Or is this still not a good idea for Mango?

Maybe they would be better placed in Ares. It would be nice to have something available so I won't have to carry the functions to each project I work on. I sure miss these functions from Phobos. They are very basic and important when it comes to interfacing with C code out there.

Of course, I'm not sure if this means that we would need similar methods for dchar* and wchar*. I don't need those, anyway. Of course, maybe I will eventually need them, and just don't realize it.

-JJR
kris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango doesn't currently have a home for C mini-functions, so I'll look into how to do this cleanly. It may turn out that Ares is the right place for this, but we'll see on Tuesday. I will add the char*, wchar* and dchar* support to the formatting routines ~ and thanks for the prodding Smile
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, Kris. You're quite right.

Thanks for listening to my confused dithering!

-JJR
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: