FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contributions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Contributions Reply with quote

Yesterday I had a little time and started an experiment with splash screens for Poseidon. Maybe it lacks some details but this is it:

http://www.chievooriginal.bravehost.com/splash.bmp

Hope you like it and feel free to criticize it so it becomes better.
It's done in flash, so it can be exported to a FlashPlayer to make some textfields updatatable (eg. version). Then just take a screenshot (eg. PrintScreen key on Windows).

If you like it please let me know. It could be enhanced to read app version from a text file so version could be updated more automatically. Or I could think some other way to make this a full automatic process.

Regards
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Poseidon's current spash screen is nice. You think it should be changed?

Anyway... your splash is quite good too. Although, I don't think the font used for the text "Poseidon" is that attractive. I don't know what a good alternative would be, though.

-JJR
bobef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one better than the original.
tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I think Poseidon's current spash screen is nice. You think it should be changed?

Anyway... your splash is quite good too. Although, I don't think the font used for the text "Poseidon" is that attractive. I don't know what a good alternative would be, though.

-JJR

The original is nice too but It could be better IMHO Smile
I'll post an alternative later with another font for "Poseidon". Hope Shawn like it better than the original.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Poseidon is like?
here are some links: Laughing
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/p/poseidon.html
http://www.mythweb.com/gods/Poseidon.html

The splash screen picture can be easily substituted in Poseidon. Prepare a picture in JPG format, and name it to 'splash.jpg'. Poseidon will search for this file and calculate its size then bring it to screen.

Hi, Tom, thanks for the contribution. I managed to download the picture via a proxy. It is another style, morden, cool, in cold hue. The shadow has a strong stereo. As JJR said, the font can be more attractive. Wait for your next one.
And more, I don't like the current icon in poseidon, I snatched it from somewhere else. Because of busy, and have no time to do a better one.
If you have time and experience, please help us to make one. Thanks!

BTW: the url is now http://www.dsource.org/projects/poseidon
tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Liu wrote:
What Poseidon is like?
here are some links: Laughing
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/p/poseidon.html
http://www.mythweb.com/gods/Poseidon.html

The splash screen picture can be easily substituted in Poseidon. Prepare a picture in JPG format, and name it to 'splash.jpg'. Poseidon will search for this file and calculate its size then bring it to screen.

Hi, Tom, thanks for the contribution. I managed to download the picture via a proxy. It is another style, morden, cool, in cold hue. The shadow has a strong stereo. As JJR said, the font can be more attractive. Wait for your next one.
And more, I don't like the current icon in poseidon, I snatched it from somewhere else. Because of busy, and have no time to do a better one.
If you have time and experience, please help us to make one. Thanks!

BTW: the url is now http://www.dsource.org/projects/poseidon

I knew about the splash.jpg but want you to take it in account for the official release Wink
For the rest, I'll work for alternatives so you can choose which do you like more and please, expect more graphical contributions very soon Very Happy (I'll work on icons as well).
Please note that I'm not a Pro Graphical-Designer guy, I prefer Computer Sciences. This is rather a hobby to me Smile.

Regards
qbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I prefer Computer Sciences. This is rather a hobby to me .

Your lucky, I think most programmers cant do artistic work at all ( myself included).

I like the image! I even like the font.

Icons are fun I look forward to seeing them.

Charlie
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphic is certainly nice, like I said before, but it doesn't make one think of the relationship of Poseidon to the graphic -- water, waves, ocean -- as Shawn's does. I realize it does have some curvy blue shades that merge with the background that perhaps are there to conjure the connection... but if the connection is there, it's perhaps too subtle. Subtle is often nice, but in this case I don't think the name Poseidon finds much analogy in the graphic.

Shawn's graphic took the opposite approach: no subtlety at all; we see an obvious ocean spray theme that makes an immediate connection with the word "Poseidon." I also like the font he has there for the name. It's has hollow glyphs with an unusually pleasant pink color. Perhaps the colour could change, but it almsot fits the florescent blue of the waves. The "D" glyph he uses in the center is okay, but on further assessment appears too bold and obvious. It doesn't quite fit with it's surroundings and maybe shouldn't even be there. Tom's approach allows for a large but "quiet" "D" blended into the background.

Perhaps if the name of the IDE is to stay, something of a trident could be included in the splash. That connection seems even stronger.

Just some thoughts.

-JJR
tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about the trident and even done it but I couldn't make it look nice over that background, so I remove it. As I said it's just a BETA splash screen Wink and it could and would be enhanced.

Just to look at, here's some link with a nice Poseidon shape that tempts me for the splash as an "inspiration".

http://gentleware.com/index.php

PS: Criticism is good, for the image can change as much as you like until the most of us feel good with it.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trident might be difficult to do. Maybe a trident spearing a D somehow?

Lots to think about here. I can see how difficult it is to design a splash. Nice to see somebody willing to try, though.

-JJR
qbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tridents sound good , gets my vote.

Quote:
http://gentleware.com/index.php

Nice logo, Poseidon UML is a good product too.

Charlie
tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: New version of splash screen Reply with quote

Here is it, the version 0.1 of the splash screen with modified FONT for Poseidon text.

http://www.chievooriginal.bravehost.com/splash-0.1.bmp

Hope you like this font (JJR, I've learned you're hard to conform _I consider myself also a hard-to-conform guy_ but please don't feel inhibited to shoot again) Smile
Also if you want, you could tell me what font you like best for the purpose, so I can put it on the picture. As for the font that Shawn used, please email it to me or something cos I don't have it.

Regards
PS: I still owe you the trident.
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I like it. I think the new font is much better. Of course, not everybody may agree.

As for the font Shawn used, I don't have it, nor do I know what font it is. I just saw it in his graphic and liked it. That said, I'm not sure it would suite your graphic the same way. Maybe Shawn can tell you where he got the font?

I don't have much of an idea what other fonts to try, at the moment. But if you have others to test, go ahead. I think your last one was a good choice.

I looked forward to seeing how you manage to get a trident into the graphic.

Your comments about my non-conformist nature made me laugh! Laughing (although, I'm not quite certain how you came to this conclusion; perhaps you've been reading the d newsgroup? -- Oh! It was probably due to my crazy tirade against you in that group when you challenged the "whisper" syntax Very Happy).

My non-conformity is certainly true to some degree: if I believe something is right, I commit to it. I endeavour not be swayed by popular opinion or peer pressure. That's mostly the extent of my non-conformity. Now this is really the "romantic" ideal. In practice, human nature makes living this way a difficult task. But I do my best. Smile

(That just sounds so pathetically heroic, doesn't it? Wink)

That said, where it is fitting, I do try very hard to cooperate as a team player too. (woo-hoo!)

-JJR
tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

Your comments about my non-conformist nature made me laugh! Laughing (although, I'm not quite certain how you came to this conclusion; perhaps you've been reading the d newsgroup? -- Oh! It was probably due to my crazy tirade against you in that group when you challenged the "whisper" syntax Very Happy).

Yes and you were right, sometimes I speak before reading and I deserve some slap in the face to get back on track. I should read more and talk less Embarassed I like non-conformist nature, though it's hard to live with I can say I'm in the same boat as you, so I can fully understand what you feel.

I'll keep posting other options and make a poll later for the decision.

Regards
tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Another alternative. Reply with quote

Here's another alternative to the splash screen.

http://www.chievooriginal.bravehost.com/splash-0.2.jpg

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Poseidon All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: