FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sprintf equivalent in Mango
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that! That clears thinks up a little. I'll start a new thread over at DDL if I have more questions to ask about this.

I was looking at what you said about *.lib files just being OMF objects packed together with a dictionary at the end. I guess we don't need lib's after all. We could use jar/zip equivalent to store objects and extract on an as needed bases to achieve specific obj file access as an alternative, correct?

I'll have to investigate DDL more thoroughly. Thanks also for explaining the current type lookup limitations.

-JJR
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
Personally, I'm the laziest of the bunch: I just dump a /mango source tree under my project where I'm working and let build sort it out. I never touch sc.ini. As a nice side-effect, it makes sure that older projects have a version-appropriate copy to compile against.

This simple solution is actually a good idea, and one I didn't think of (or, at least, didn't want to think of; I don't like extra clutter). I typically go svn update crazy. I'm constantly making sure that I've got the most recent version of the projects I'm interested in. Unfortunately that can break things, so doing what you do is probably the safest way to go for local projects.

-JJR
pragma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that! That clears thinks up a little. I'll start a new thread over at DDL if I have more questions to ask about this.
You're welcome. Smile

Quote:

I was looking at what you said about *.lib files just being OMF objects packed together with a dictionary at the end. I guess we don't need lib's after all. We could use jar/zip equivalent to store objects and extract on an as needed bases to achieve specific obj file access as an alternative, correct?

Correct, and it would be critical when I can concoct something that is more aware of the filesystem (like Java is). I'll add a research task for that. My only concern at this point is that there's no zlib support under Ares at present.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
kris wrote:
JJR wrote:
I think it would be nice, though, to add a simple build option to Mango to make only mango.io into a lib, for those that just want that part for now.

Is that because some things don't build for the lib? Or because of lib entry conflicts? We could add version() to buld/mango.d but perhaps there's a different problem needing attention?

For neither reason. I just think mango.io is useful in and of itself apart from the rest. But then again, I guess it's not so independent anymore. I guess it would pull in things like convert, Unicode translation, and such. I just meant that it would be nice to use the IO stuff by itself. But that would only be an advantage if it allowed total program size to be smaller. Perhaps it really makes no difference, and the linker includes just the objects from the library required by the pogram?

This makes perfect sense for libraries loaded via DDL ... there's little point in loading a whole bunch of symbols that will never be referenced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: