FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release announcements : Current Veresion [ .33 ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Release announcements : Current Veresion [ .33 ] Reply with quote

Fixed some interface glitches. Im setting up trac at the moment, for now its at www.thecodebase.com .

Thanks
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a huge improvement since the last time I tried your IDE ages ago.

But I'm still confused about a few things:

1) How do I tell what version of elephant IDE I'm running? Threre's no about box anywhere obvious.

2) I setup the compiler paths Settings->settings option dialog, but nothing is ever retained. When I quit elephant IDE, then load it up again, I have to set these options all over again despite having pressed the "Save" button previously.

3) When I quit elephant IDE with a current project open, then load elephant up again, the project is not automatically loaded, nor is there any reference to it in the "recent projects" spot in the file menu. When I search for it in the file menu, I have to hunt the whole directory path all over again through "open project." Why doesn't it default to the last project directory opened? Why doesn't elephant save the last setting I placed in the "project directory" editbox in the settings dialogue?

Just a few questions. Otherwise, if these errors were fixed, I might find elephant useful for my projects. But I won't find it useful if I keep having to setup the settings dialog everytime I run the program.

Thanks for all the work you've poured into this, though.

-JJR

PS. The only setting that does appear to stay is the "font" setting.
qbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
1) How do I tell what version of elephant IDE I'm running? Threre's no about box anywhere obvious.

Only way now is the installer -- im still trying to get a 'cool' about box.

JJR wrote:
2) I setup the compiler paths Settings->settings option dialog, but nothing is ever retained. When I quit elephant IDE, then load it up again, I have to set these options all over again despite having pressed the "Save" button previously.

This should only happen on the first two runs -- I still have no idea why this is happening -- I suspect that the installer is starting the executable in some weird directory -- Ill investigate it.

JJR wrote:
3) When I quit elephant IDE with a current project open, then load elephant up again, the project is not automatically loaded, nor is there any reference to it in the "recent projects" spot in the file menu. When I search for it in the file menu, I have to hunt the whole directory path all over again through "open project." Why doesn't it default to the last project directory opened? Why doesn't elephant save the last setting I placed in the "project directory" editbox in the settings dialogue?

Again this is only the first two runs Sad. Elephant actually does record the last directory used for open / save operations , and should default there again when using opens.

Yea im getting lots of flack over it -- Ill try to get a fix for .34.

Other than that -- if you get a chance to use it more -- are there any bugs / flaws that jump out at you ?
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Again this is only the first two runs Sad. Elephant actually does record the last directory used for open / save operations , and should default there again when using opens.

Confirmed. It does record that data Razz

Quote:

Other than that -- if you get a chance to use it more -- are there any bugs / flaws that jump out at you ?

Could you fix D style comment highlighting ?
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you run back to the code to pull some more hair, I confess I must have been working with 0.32! I'm so sorry. I just downloaded 0.33. I'll install that and see if the same errors exist.

It's wierd because I just downloaded the esetup.zip yesterday so I don't know why I got 0.32 instead of 0.33. This morning I was able to download 0.33 by following the link in this post. Maybe you could put the version number in the filename like esetup33.zip or something.

My apologies for ragging on you for old version flaws! Embarassed

qbert wrote:

I certainly will tell more as I use it a bit. So far, it looks very good, although the menus are so full, I'm not quite sure what everything does. But for the most part, the basics seems straightforward.

-JJR
qbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h3r3tic wrote:

You mean nested comments /+ +/ ? Those work for me here ( thanks to chris miller aka vathix ) -- or is their some ddoc comment problems ?

Charlie
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... using 0.33:

All the same problems minus one:

As Tom identified above, the open dialog box now remembers the most recent project directory on close and reloading of elephant.

But still no settings are saved and no recent projects show up on close and reloading of Elephant.

-JJR
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
h3r3tic wrote:

You mean nested comments /+ +/ ? Those work for me here ( thanks to chris miller aka vathix ) -- or is their some ddoc comment problems ?

It seems that they don't obey comment highlighting colors. Or have you added some config entry to set D-style comments colors separately and my config version just doesn't have it ? Try running Elephant with the eide.ini I gave you

/Tom
qbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry their called 'Nested Comments' , ill rename it so they are grouped next to the other comments. Its default is an ugly torquise thats barely distinguishable on my laptop.

Im freaking out about these settings -- the cache reports the right data -- but when it goes to write the file it writes nothing. I'm about to just say F it and throw the damn thing away.
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Im freaking out about these settings -- the cache reports the right data -- but when it goes to write the file it writes nothing. I'm about to just say F it and throw the damn thing away.

Maybe it's best to just put it aside for awhile. Wink

At least you've opened the source. Now people can access it and perhaps help figure out these problems. I'm not much help, though. That's a lot of source to download (33 MB!?) and I'm not well versed in MFC (blech!). Now that I've been with D so long, I can barely look at C++ now without getting sick. Shocked

-JJR
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Did Brad give you a place to store the code in svn? That would be the easiest for people to access.

-JJR
qbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe it's best to just put it aside for awhile.

Or for good -- now that DWT is stable, Im going to start an IDE in D.

This is the only project I still use C++ on , and the D community would never really embrace an IDE written in C++. Elephant has become a chore -- I can't help but think how much more _fun_ it would be to be devloping in D.

Besides I can do it right this time around Very Happy.

Quote:
Did Brad give you a place to store the code in svn? That would be the easiest for people to access.

Yes , Im going to upload my current C++ sources as a zip file under downloads, then start on the D version.
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Quote:
Maybe it's best to just put it aside for awhile.

Shocked Yes!?? Wow, that would be good! DWT does appear fairly stable and would only benefit from your testing it out with such an endeavor. There are some very impressive examples of what it can do in the svn.

qbert wrote:
This is the only project I still use C++ on , and the D community would never really embrace an IDE written in C++. Elephant has become a chore -- I can't help but think how much more _fun_ it would be to be devloping in D.

Fun indeed! You'll only collect more fans if you succeed on a D version. Very Happy

-JJR
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:

Besides I can do it right this time around Very Happy.

Yeey ! Horray for boobies ! Good luck on your mission Very Happy
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h3r3tic wrote:
Yeey ! Horray for boobies ! Good luck on your mission Very Happy

"boobies"? What do you mean by "boobies"? boobies == mistakes ?

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Elephant IDE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: