FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IBuffer, IReader, IWriter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think we should do?
Retain the interfaces, and damn the torpedoes!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Change to an abstract base-class, but leave the names intact
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
As above, but rename to AbstractWriter et. al.
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
As above, but rename to AWriter et. al.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

sean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, template tricks can get around the single inheritance problem most of the time. For example:
Code:
class Empty {} // dummy parent class
class MyParent(T=Empty) : T {}
class MyDerived : MyParent!(AReader) {}

In the above example, MyParent has to follow a specific design for this to work, but it's suitable at times. Also, mixins are fantastic for getting around single inheritance problems. If only there were a one-shot way to alias everything in a mixin scope. As for the rest... I've no problems with a search and replace. Takes all of 10 seconds unless something is also deriving from another class.
kris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I voted for the last choice but I'd like to qualify it by suggesting that the interface method be reconsidered at a later date, simply because the codegen might improve before D hits 1.0. Unless the abstract base class method proves superior from a usability standpoint at any rate.

That's a good point. We might leave the names as they are for now and, if interfaces become more efficient, there would be no need for a name change. Of course, that might simply delay a possible name change ~ but still ...
Carlos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I voted for the last choice but I'd like to qualify it by suggesting that the interface method be reconsidered at a later date, simply because the codegen might improve before D hits 1.0. Unless the abstract base class method proves superior from a usability standpoint at any rate.

Combining this and the MI "thing" (sorry, can't think of another word), I decided to vote to leave things as they are. I prefer to think that using interfaces is a better design, and that the compiler can get better, or that there'll be more compilers which don't have that problem, so I prefer the better design.
pragma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the AbstractWriter camp.

It's really a shame that the current implementation of D gives us inefficent codegen with interfaces; I only wish I knew why Walter decided to go with such a design. Surely there's a tradeoff somewhere?

Anyway, it seems to me that if you have something as elementary as Buffer, Reader and Writer abstract baess, you could inherit and override to your heart's content to create whatever else you needed. They're such fundamental concepts as primitive classes, they may as well have some stock implementation of the interface (as in contract) they support rather than leave it up to the implementer to get wrong.

IMO, adapters and abstract-base classes are a powerful concept that make libraries like Mango all the more useful. I don't think we loose anything from getting rid of the interface versions.

As for supporting the name-change: let's call a spade, a spade. Smile
teqdruid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
As for supporting the name-change: let's call a spade, a spade. Smile

I disagree. If I'm using a spade like a hammer, 'cause I don't have a hammer, I'll take my most sturdy spade, label it as a hammer, and call it that. (I'm not joking- I've done it) If we change from an actual interface to an abstract class, we're doing it because D lacks interface support that's worth using. This being the case, if we're going to use an abstract class like an interface, let's call it an interface since it essentially is in most respects- other than the keyword that appears before the name!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: