FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Module Naming Conventions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Module Naming Conventions Reply with quote

I just downloaded all the items off of http://www.geocities.com/one_mad_alien/dcode/. Thanks for posting these projects. They look quite interesting. I have some suggestions about module naming conventions. It seems like there are quite a few levels of directories (nothing wrong with that), but I don't really understand why they're arranged in the way that they're arranged and how the modules are named internally.

Some examples:
l8night\dfc\bitmap.d
module dfc.bitmap -> l8night.dfc.bitmap

util8\cmdline\options.d
module cmdline.options -> l8night.cmdline.options

util8\winex\dynloader.d
module winex.dynloader -> l8night.winex.dynloader

My suggestion does add an identifier to each module, but I don't think it has to add any levels to the directories. Combining files under a l8night folder will facilitate sharing the files. For example, then I could put all of the libraries I download into \dmd\src and I could just add -I\dmd\src when I compile a project that depends on a l8night module. (I know I could do that myself now, but I'd rather not rename every module line every time I download a revision.)

Also, I don't understand why Core32 is called win32 internally. Can it be called one or the other?
l8night

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of this stems from my build system;
<root>/bin <= binary, lib and map file
<root>/obj/<path> <= where <path> is lib/core32/win32/api.obj etc
<root>/lib/<libname>/<filepath>
e.g <root>/lib/core32/win32/api.d
which is module 'win32.api' in libfile core32.lib
i.e. all of <root>/lib/<libname>/... will be made into bin/<libname>.lib
<root>/src/<projectname> <= the project files that use the libs.

it is also inline with D's phobos where 'std.c.stdio' is in <dmdroot>/src/phobos/std/c/stdio.d
phobos is the lib file name std/c/stdio the module path within the lib.
also makes it easy to zip-up a project library and allows several modules to co exist, and for different libs to have the same paths (i.e. a dev and a stable verison of the win32 headers for instance)
at present to include phobos manually its -Ic:\dmd\src\phobos
(but dmd know this as its in sc.ini)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> L8night All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: