FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Development of the Xubutor Project v.1 TODO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Development of the Xubutor Project v.1 TODO Reply with quote

This topic is dedicated to the development of the Xubutor project, which Rider and I will be working on together and will hopefully be productive during this summer break.

I want to break down the development of this game into slices of 10?, that is we will be working on 10? of the game at a time and have 10 releases (.1,.2,.3,.4,.5,etc) that will eventually lead up to a 1.0 release.

Xubutor is an ambitious project. It will be similar to the game 'Raptor.'

Here is the TODO list for the project. Underlined items are accomplished.

Xubutor v.1 To Do List

* TileMap code (Clay)
-----> Level Editor

* At least 4 enemy types (Clay)

* An enemy behaviour sub-engine that will determine movement and firing patterns of the ships. (Clay)

* Player class (Rider)
-----> All primary player weapons
-----> Player controls

* At least 1 temporary powerup ingame (Rider)

* Simple Profile system that saves player info and current level (Rider)

Required Art

* TileMaps for the first 4 levels
* Ship Art
* Ship pickups
* Ship weapon fire
* Art for the four enemy types

Rider, feel free to add more to the todo list. Try to only keep the TODO list for 1/10th of the amount of the game. I'm in a hurry so I do not have time to expand this list now.

Last edited by clayasaurus on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's some things I think should be in Xubutor 0.1

* At least 4 enemy types, with art
* An enemy behaviour sub-engine? Might help determining hostile ship movement an firing patterns
* At least 1 temporary powerup ingame
* Simple Profile system that saves player info and current level

I think anything on top of that can be saved for future releases, but having this done can give us a sense of how we're going to do certain things, what needs to be tweaked, what might be unnessecary alltogether and such.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually going to work on the game menu for Xubutor now. However, I want to do the menu the 'right way.'

What I'm going to do is to create an easy to use GUI system for Arc then use that to create the game menu. I'm also going to get most of Arc v.2 done.

These two things might take me a long time, especially with limited freetime. If you want to stick around for the long haul then that's great. However if you are sick of waiting, waiting, and waiting then I can let this project rest.

~ Clay
Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
However if you are sick of waiting, waiting, and waiting then I can let this project rest.

~ Clay

Yeah you'd like that wouldn't you Razz

No I'll hang around, no worries, just give me something specific to do that might help. I'm bored shitless lately anyway...
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want you to know that it will take a while. Onward! You can help start making art and trying to make some spaceship code.
Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make "some spaceship code" when I have an enviroment in wich I can test it, to see if it works properly in the game (i.e. when we have code that can display, and scroll the level)

Make art. Fair enough. What do you need, and in wich dimensions? I could go make random stuff, but unless I know the dimensions of the image, I can't really make anything final or substancial. I want to make sure that I don't have to redo the image at a lower scale because it doesn't fit the screensize/backdrop/whatever.

That's the downside of using sprites, rescaling means recreating, otherwise you lose too much quality.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can choose the size of the spaceship. I think it should be around or maybe a little bigger than the asteroids game spaceship. You do not need a tilemap to program the spaceships controls and animations and weapons.
Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do not need a tilemap to program the spaceships controls and animations and weapons.

No that's true, but regardless, I'll need a test enviroment. I'm not sure I could produce one myself atm, since I have little to no knowledge of your ARC library, and most of it will probably have to be trial and error. And that doesn't fly well if I can't compile and test it every now and then.

so... um... any suggestions with that?

As for the spaceship, you think 48x48 would be a good size for the playership sprite? If so, then I'll just base the other ships and turrets off that size as well.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... would it be that hard to change the Asteroids game into your test environment? Or.. what exactly do you need in your test environment?

If you need enemies and a scrolling tilemap you will have to be patient and wait a while for it.

As for spaceship size, a safe size would be 64 or 32. OpenGL will resize your image to the nearest power of 2 otherwise so it can display it.
Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need much in a test enviroment. Just an empty playfield, the size of our 'visible playfield' in the actual game and 1 'generic enemy' that slowly moves up & down.

That should give me enough to get the ship controls working and let the weapons do what they're supposed to.

As for the ship size, I'll use 64x64, 32x32 is just too small Smile
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, do you want me to create this playfield or do you already have it figured out? Smile

I'm still working out the physics system (it will be nice) and the GUI system (it will also be nice). I will add a 'package' system to arc so we can easily manage our data files.

Do you think I should try to work on some type of dynamic lighting system for Xubutor, or should we put that on the backburner? If I could get something working it could add alot to the 'mood' (think sunset) and explosions within the game, as well as night time.

As soon as I get these things done I will release Arc v.2 and then we can get our own forums for the Xubutor project, because by then we should have most of the technology we need to create a game that will rock off socks and impress friends Razz

~ Clay
Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could definitly use some help with the playfield!

The generic enemy will be used as a "enemytarget" class or somesuch, for homing weapons and weapon effects, all we have to do once I get the weapons working in this enviroment is replace this generic enemy with whatever baddy can be hit/destroyed.

But I'm sure you had your own ideas on this field Smile

Quote:
Do you think I should try to work on some type of dynamic lighting system for Xubutor, or should we put that on the backburner?

I think that would be splendid Very Happy but it might not be a requirement for Xubutor 0.1 since that would probably only delay the first playable build.

Quote:
As soon as I get these things done I will release Arc v.2 and then we can get our own forums for the Xubutor project, because by then we should have most of the technology we need to create a game that will rock off socks and impress friends

Ooooh, I like the sound of that Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: