FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porting

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Porting Reply with quote

I thought I'd let you know I'm trying to port DWT to Carbon. I'd like to know which path would be the best for doing that (and any DWT porting).
SWT (apparently) keeps different source files for every platform, and I don't mean in the internal package, but every other class exposes a common public interface, but depends on platform-specific details. Currently, I'm keeping Shawn's (Windows) code versioned while I add the Carbon code, but some files are getting really big (for example, dwt/graphics/font.d). If that's done for every platform, those files will be almost unmaintainable. But I also don't like too much having different files for every platform.
So, how do you guys think this should be done?
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Carlos:
glad to hear that a Carbon port is in preparing.

Actually, some modules are shared with every platform. Or we can say some of them are platform-independent.

eg. all files in 'custom' folder are such platform-independent modules.

I will try to give a list to indicate which modules can run on other platform without modification.

later.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe it will be necessary to maintain platform dependent directories for the DWT project. Like Carlos mentioned, many of the source files have significantly different implementations from platform to platform. Versioning for different OSes, I think, would make the whole DWT package bulky and difficult to maintain. There's also an increased chance of mistakenly commiting changes to working, unrelated platform code if all versions share the same source.

Nonetheless, if some files share common (platform independent) code, we can certainly make use of that. If Shawn can collect that list of files, that would be great.

-JJR
Carlos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on hold because it has become too complex. I don't think I know enough about Mac OS X programming to get some more of this done. And it's not fun either. Sorry to dissapoint you, guys.
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos, I completely identify with you.

It is a very complex task. I'm not so sure I'm completely up to doing the GTK port. Even if it is completed, there is the difficulty of keeping pace with SWT ports. I don't think bug-fixing the DWT port by hand is a good solution: how much of the bug-hunting is a duplication of effort from the SWT side of things; how many of these bugs are due to the D implementation. Shawn Liu has done a fantastic job with the Win32 port of SWT, but I don't think it's practical to try to duplicate the same amount of work on mulitple ports (GTK and OS X). Once the ports are complete, somebody MUST commit to maintenance, which includes bug-fixing and updates. That requires a lot of time and effort, something few of us have to spare.

While automation of the porting task is the most critical step in this effort, the custom adaptation of the automation tool itself will involve plenty of effort as well; the tool will still need constant fine tuning and updating to keep pace with SWT. And despite the use of the tool, plenty of manual porting will still be necessary.

I think we just have to be realistic about the task. People are depending on one person-per-port to complete each of these porting tasks. While there will be accolades for the individuals that succeed (eg. Shawn being the first example), what kind of support and contribution can be expected after the port is complete? One practically will have to devote his whole D development time to maintenance it seems. That's almost too much for one person to handle.

I'm not giving up on the GTK port just yet. I'm just trying to be realistic. Once again, very few people have stepped forward to help on these projects, so the work effectively becomes a one man show for each port involved.

Furthermore, unless there is some convergence on the methodology of the porting task, there will be no consistancy across SWT ports. DWT on win32 was done manually? DWT on GTK will be done partly with an automation tool? We are back to considering fundamental decisions again. Where are we going with this?

-JJR
Carlos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to port DWT to Mac because I wanted a GUI library and, back then, I couldn't get either MinWin or wxD to work. However, now wxD works great, so I don't need another library. So I'm done with that porting. If someone is interested in what I did (which isn't much, anyway), just let me know. Good luck!
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos,

You might as well post your code in the svn repos under a branch or something, no?

BA
Carlos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but I don't know if I have enough permissions.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, ok, then you can send it to me and I'll pop it in there
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent it yesterday. Did you get it?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I forgot to follow up.

I got it and posted it to SVN.

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt/changeset/107

BA
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: