FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ares on PocketPC Windows CE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamerChad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Ares on PocketPC Windows CE Reply with quote

I've been working on adding GDC to an x86-linux -> arm-wince-pe GCC cross-compiler. I've also come to the point where I need a library to link against before I can write D apps for WinCE. I am not sure if having a library will complete the compiler, but it kinda looks like it since the compiler has already compiled some phobos files before hitting errors.

kris replied to my post on the GDC newsgroup about this and suggested that I use Ares for this. Since then I've looked it over (and Mango too), and an Ares/Mango/SDL combo looks like it would do very well for me on WinCE.

One snag though - I have no idea how to do this with Ares. It looks like GDC configures and builds with an assumption of Phobos. Seems fairly simple for me to use phobos - just modify it by hacking out unneeded code or writing workarounds until the thing compiles and links successfully. I haven't found any instructions on how to use Ares with GDC, so I don't know where to start here.

Does anyone have some instructions for getting GDC to use Ares? If not, basically what I need for this to work is some kind of help or assistance with getting GDC to build using Ares.
sean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ares is comprised of three libraries: the compiler runtime (dmdrt) which contains compiler-specific code, the garbage collector (dmdgc), and the standard library (ares). dmdgc began its life as phobos/internal/gc and dmdrt began its life as phobos/internal, and I generally release an Ares update whenever a new version of DMD is released in order to update these libraries as necessary.

As far as GDC support is concerned, I've been waiting for the next version of GDC to be released before attempting it, but the process should be fairly straightforward. Simply diff phobos/internal with gphobos/internal and phobos/internal/gc with gphobos/internal/gc and make the necessary modifications to dmdrt and dmdgc (possibly renaming them to gdcrt and gdcgc in the process). And make sure you're comparing to the correct version of phobos to keep the diffs to a minimum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: