FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D Template Library and 'Modern D Design'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelcoupland

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: D Template Library and 'Modern D Design' Reply with quote

First my disclaimer: I'm no wizened sage of languages or development, so if I'm spouting silly just tell me (preferably in the form of an elucidating anecdote or explanation) and I'll shut up.

I'm wondering why I haven't really heard much about developing a collection of template libraries for D. (I'm thinking about STL and C++) I've seen a few independent templated containers lying around (I specifically recall a linked list) but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there. I realize that vectors (and certain maps) are slightly less useful with D's fairly elaborate array (and associative array) facilities, but even those might benefit from containerization, what with the advantages of algorithms that operate on generic iterators and such.

Also, in the book "Modern C++ Design" there is a lot of discussion on the implementation of Design Patterns in a generic manner which I think could be applicable to D. (The book parallels the "Loki" library)

With the similarity of C++ and D, it seems like many of the design decisions and libraries (although obviously not all) which were appropriate (or at least deemed so) would likewise probably also be useful for D.
Basically I think that it would be a very productive endeavor to take advantage of much of the effort that has been put into developing powerful generic libraries for C++ (STL, Loki, and Boost)

Unfortunately, I lack the programming experience to do justice to this idea; I'm just a college student, and so even if I think I'm making the right decisions, I probably lack the experience to really know what works. The thought of building something like STL (with it's allocators and iterators and widgets etc.) is a pretty scary one. (On top of which, I certainly don't have the time needed to even)

I am, however, considering working on some generic D code over this summer (I'm still just getting my feet wet with D), so if anyone has any comments, questions, suggestions, or requests on what I ought to attempt (if I can I'd like to be writing something that other people could use), please let me know.
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: DTL Reply with quote

Matthew Wilson is developing a library called DTL. He keeps on teasing us with the idea that he's going to release some code. A week or so ago, he wrote he was waiting for Walter to implement mixins in the compiler. Since DMD 0.89 (released today) supports mixins, I'm hoping his first release of DTL is imminent.

Also, Digital Mars has a DTL Newsgroup where you can find more discussion of DTL.

Matthew is on the record as being open to suggestions (and encouraging competing libraries), so I'm sure he'd like to read your comments and ideas.
Hohums

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres also Deimos (on dsource) which is like potential contributions to phobos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Potential Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: