FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alpha Bugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Alpha Bugs Reply with quote

The current Alpha has the following quirks:

- Can't cope with a variety of exceptions. The program will abort rather than gracefully recover from a variety of situations (read on). This flaw may be causing a resource leak.

- My editing application (Textpad) sometimes holds a file handle after Watcher has been notified. This causes Watcher to throw an exception after attempting to acquire a handle for that particular file. This problem may manifest with other apps.

- I made a false assumption about how "STOR" works under FTP. Apparently, the command does not allow paths (eg. "STOR foo/bar.d" returns a 5xx message) so only the root mapped directory will work correctly (sorry). Embarassed

- Password shown on-screen. Presently, there is no clean way to read in console text w/o showing the typed characters on the screen. Just make sure nobody is looking over your shoulder when you launch the program. Sad
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alpha Bugs Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
- Password shown on-screen. Presently, there is no clean way to read in console text w/o showing the typed characters on the screen. Just make sure nobody is looking over your shoulder when you launch the program. Sad

I could be wrong, but I think one of the C getc* functions read without echoing.
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Alpha Bugs Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
pragma wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think one of the C getc* functions read without echoing.

An excellent tip. Here's what I managed to find:

http://www.digitalmars.com/rtl/conio.html

Looks like we have getch() under DMC, so surely its available in D. Now for the test:

Code:
import std.stdio;
extern(C) int getch();
void main(){
   char ch;
   char[] str;
   do{
      ch = getch();
      str ~= ch;
   }
   while(ch != '\r' && ch != '\n');
   writefln("?s\n",str);
}

This works wonderfully. Thanks Carlos.
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.
pragma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Alpha Bugs Reply with quote

Bugfixes

- Subdirectories now work correctly in all cases.
- Passwords are read blindly from standard input only (no text is echoed unless you build Watcher in debug mode).

The changes are available in SVN.

Outstanding Bugs

- Apps that hold file handles after notification will cause watcher to fail
- Watcher cannot handle FTP "550" messages intellegently. "File already exists" and the like will cause watcher to fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Watcher All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: