FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lua?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: lua? Reply with quote

hey, it might be nice to have lua a part of derelict.

it is a pretty small C lib. (3 little .h files). It is also supported on multiple platforms.

the only hard part (for me, at least) is converting the macros.

it is a scripting language : ) www.lua.org

btw, i've been cooking up my own files, and got a lua implementation without the macros already. i'll put them in the bindings folder if i can figure them out (macros)
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lua is definitely on my hit list. Should be a much simpler port than Python. To be honest though, I was toying with the idea of using Lua as a basis for a scripting language coded in D. I've never liked Lua's C interface. Dealing with stack offsets is just a PITA. Python is much more straightforward in that regard, but too bloated. I figure it would be nice to have a script language tied to D, lightweight like Lua, but with less frustrating C (or in this case, D) interface.

Anyway, Lua is in the pipe. But not until after I get release 2 bundled and available for download. Which seems to be further and further away.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope these http://svn.dsource.org/projects/bindings/trunk/lua/ can give you a head start : )

I like your idea of implementing a lua like script system for D based off lua code that is easy to use. a lot of hard work but would be worth it and make D even more attractive.

I would be willing to help as I need a scripting language for my game : )
Right now I am trying to learn lua, but I am confused on how to allow lua to access my functions.

I will learn in time though. Nice to see you are considering it for future releases.

EDIT: now that I think about it, it would probably be better to build a D lib that sits on top of lua and allows easy access to/from lua. unless you are up to rewriting lua in D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: