FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0.0.1 released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hohums

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: 0.0.1 released Reply with quote

I’m just announcing the release of Dig-Dug 0.0.0.1 the d-debugger that Charles and I have been putting together over the past few weeks. This first release is very primitive, like most first releases are. We decided to release it because we thought that someone may find it useful.

It’s missing a lot of things, so if it does not work it’s probably not been programmed yet.

It is conceptually broken up into a front and backend so anyone who wants to make a better GUI front-end, by all means. Actually we though that a debugger would be a good test/example for any new GUI ports to d.

We'll probably end up providing the Dig-Dug (backend) as a separate module, maybe as a DLL. Anyone with experiance in COM want to try converting it to COM?

Also does someone on the linux side wants to make it support linux, or even suggest design changes to make it more portable?

Anyway any help would be much appresiated.

Also we hope the backend may one day get into phobos (of course after many revisions).

Let us know if you find it useful.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Initial Comments Reply with quote

It looks like you need to add SciLexer.dll to the setup file. (For those that need it, SciLexer.dll can be found in the "SciTE executable full download".)

Also, in future releases, it might be helpful to call the install file something more descriptive than setup.exe (e.g. digdug-setup.exe).

Otherwise, it looks like fun.

Last edited by jcc7 on Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, at some point this weekend, I will get a downloads page working. Then you won't have to put the setup.exe into Subversion.

How about digdug-0.0.1.exe for the name?
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love some of the graphics in the release... Especially that bug with a shovel. Who drew that one?
qbert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I love some of the graphics in the release... Especially that bug with a shovel. Who drew that one?

Joel did all the artwork, as well as most of the GUI. Yea the graphics really spice it up I think, my fav is the different color arrows for the Output window ( for things like trace and stuff ).

Ill add scintilla dll's to setup file, and rename to digdug-setup.exe.

Thanks,
Charles
Hohums

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Bug with shovel Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

Thanks

I don't however like the bug in the side menu as it just doesn't seem to fit. Any ideas? We could make each item in that menu a different picture. Anyone want to contribute pictures.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the smiley bug faces along the side menu don't quite fit Smile. I can't think of a replacement solution for this ATM.

One more thing: the dig based interface is nice for the most part except for some unusual transparent lines that encompass the perimeters of the dividing internal panes. You can see right through to the desktop in these. I'm using WinXP HE, and I've noticed this in other dig based apps. Is this happening just on my system or is it a known problem?

Good work overall,

John
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About transparent lines: it's almost exclusively ocurring along the top just under the menu frame. No matter, really. I can get rid of it simply by maximizing the whole app.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
About transparent lines: it's almost exclusively ocurring along the top just under the menu frame. No matter, really. I can get rid of it simply by maximizing the whole app.
I see the same thing (WinXP HE). I agree it's not a big deal, but it'd be nice if it wasn't there. It'd probably be easiler to port the GUI to another GUI library (as Hohums has suggested) than to fix this in dig, though.
Hohums

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

One more thing: the dig based interface is nice for the most part except for some unusual transparent lines that encompass the perimeters of the dividing internal panes. You can see right through to the desktop in these. I'm using WinXP HE, and I've noticed this in other dig based apps. Is this happening just on my system or is it a known problem?

Good work overall,

John

Yeah Dig behaves stangly alot of the time. I've been fighting with alot of issues like this one. ie I found that calling repaint on every control twice fixes some other display issues.
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hohums wrote:

Yeah Dig behaves stangly alot of the time. I've been fighting with alot of issues like this one. ie I found that calling repaint on every control twice fixes some other display issues.

Ouch!

I think we need to get DWT finished up and ready to use... Wink
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this. John, how's your time looking?
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking better. I got into the mode with almost non-stop testing of Kris's DSC on windows and Linux Smile... I'm still going to be playing with that a bit. But if I can get into the same mode with DWT, with some help, we should be able to get somewhere. Playing with DSC has actually helped me get a better feel for a few of D's features which may be important in DWT.
Hohums

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:

I think we need to get DWT finished up and ready to use... Wink

Anyone want to volunteer to make a DWT version of dig-dug?
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I would...

But DWT is no where near ready for use yet...

We still have to get a vast number of classes working, and then a small test case compiled and running. I think I'll dig into this again... There's just so much potential for the DWT project.

Perhaps as you progress with the dig-dug developement, we may have a dwt interface ready for its later versions. It would be an impressive demonstration of dsource projects Smile. Somebody mentioned that dig-dug is well separated into a front and back end anyway, no?

It would be particularly nice if dmd 0.83 were released soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dig-Dug All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: