FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dBerBible project proposal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: dBerBible project proposal Reply with quote

Would it be appropriate to have a "dBerBible" project? Perhaps it could be in a subcategory "Apps"?

I have started porting the Visual C++ MFC BerBible freeware code to 'D' and have ver 0.10a as a prototype. It is available at:
http://berbible.sourceforge.net/misc/dBerBibleSetup.exe

Installing this file results in:
C:\Program Files\dBerBible with following files
... BerBible.exe
... BerBible.d
... BerBible.def (Win32 linker def file)
... BerBible.dsp (ide project files)
... .dsw
... .ncb
... .opt
... WebOtNtNoTags.vpl (WEB Bible public domain)

At this point, it is a very rough conversion, with BerBible.d being a "monolithic" file that uses Win32 gui api calls. About all it does is allow selection of a Book/Chapter with a TreeView, which shows up in a multiline TextEdit field.

Eventually, I envision it having similar functionality to the original BerBible, probably using a gui framework when one matures:
http://berbible.sourceforge.net/download/BerBibleSetup.exe

My longer term objective is to integrate a 'D' conversion of the InVerse scripture memorization freeware into BerBible:
http://inverse.sourceforge.net/Download/InVerseSetup.exe

Thanks for your assistance. Let me know if you need further information, or what could/should be changed to make dBerBible a reasonable "candidate" to be a dsource project.
Lynn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: The dBerBible project ide files have a dependency on the Core32 project such that is assumes win32.lib is in:
[dmd_dir]\lib\win32.lib

and it can import modules from:
[dmd_dir]\src\phobos\win32

(unless bin\sc.ini modified)

This may change if phobos\std\c\windows has more of the Win32 'widgets'.

BerBible.exe is statically linked, so it can be invoked ok out of:
C:\Program Files\dBerBible

without a problem.
svanleent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Other OS's Reply with quote

Consider your application to be as portable as possible. Although it may look like a MFC application, it should be portable for example to GTK systems. Maybe you want to use DWT or DUI instead.
Lynn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, it is 'vanilla' win32 gui api (not mfc) and I may or may not be concerned about eventual portability to Linux. My impression is that the currently available gui frameworks don't yet implement the TreeView and ListControl widgets.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn wrote:
For now, it is 'vanilla' win32 gui api (not mfc) and I may or may not be concerned about eventual portability to Linux. My impression is that the currently available gui frameworks don't yet implement the TreeView and ListControl widgets.

DUI is a complete wrapper around GTK, so it probably do support those widgets.
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
Lynn wrote:

DUI is a complete wrapper around GTK, so it probably do support those widgets.
DUI is great, but it's better for Linux than for Windows. For one thing, DUI's developer (Ant) is more interested in Linux, so the Windows version is usually out-of-date. Another disadvantage for Windows is that there's a lot of overhead with the GTK+ runtime that a vanilla Win32 GUI implementation gets to avoid.

On the other hand, if you reimplement the GUI for dBerBible using DUI, Lynn might be willing to add a GTK+ version to his project. Wink
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
On the other hand, if you reimplement the GUI for dBerBible using DUI, Lynn might be willing to add a GTK+ version to his project. Wink

Sorry, not at all interested in the application itself Smile
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
jcc7 wrote:

Sorry, not at all interested in the application itself Smile
Sorry, maybe svanleent is interested, then. Or not... Very Happy
alarconx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Good Question Reply with quote

THanks for asking such a good question here at http://www.dscource.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> dBerBible All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: