FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String class?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, maybe dool could serve as a template for Ares OO-interface (if we were to have an OO-interface for all functionality).

Ant: I understand you disappointment with Phobos (and at the moment Ares; it hasn't exactly gotten off the ground yet), but I don't think that D in the long term need several 'standard'/basic functionality libraries. As it is; you and Kris are outcoding all other in the D community (at least in the public space) and as such both of you are far ahead in needs and coded functionality when compared to Ares and others. Therefore I see your need to create dool, but I hope that you will be interested to discuss integration of that functionality into Ares at some point in the future when the rest of us catch up.
Ant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe dool could serve as a template for Ares OO-interface

But Confused ... but Mad ... but Evil or Very Mad ...

That's exacly the scope of my new idea!
create a common ground! So join in please.
but please be aware that I'll ignore any non OO suggestions.

If we can come up with a valid definition sooner or later (probably later) someone will integrate the different libraries into one single implementation.

dool is open source, you are free to take it.

Ant
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Accomplishing results... Reply with quote

By the way, someone wrote some string classes almost a year ago (http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?StringClasses). Fancy that! Wink

I don't personally see the need for a string class, but I know that several of you do. Since I think it makes more sense to have one official string class than ten different unofficial classes, I hope that you can convince Walter to add a string class to the standard library. You'll have a better chance if you actually submit code that several of you endorse.

There's no harm in discussing the broad concepts first, but if never reach any consensus or make any compromises with each other you're unlikely to get an official string class. That's just my perspective. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: