FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange VisualStudio performance with C++ projects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zone

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Strange VisualStudio performance with C++ projects Reply with quote

The latest point release has been pretty solid for for D programming, but now I'm noticing when the plug-in is installed I get periodic freezes in the IDE when working on C++ projects. They are fairly substantial (5+ seconds, on a stupidly fast sandy bridge machine with an SSD drive), and also erratic (minutes between pauses).

This is the only 3rd party plugin I have installed (MSVS10sp1), and removing it definitely makes the problem go away.
sagitario

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working on a mixture of projects, both D and C++? As long as you don't load a d file or project, and you don't execute any of the Visual D commands, the plugin should not be loaded.

Could you please create a process dump of devenv.exe with procdump ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900 ) when the freeze occurs (maybe option -c or -u can help)?
Zone

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a dedicated C++ sln/vcxproj, which is why I find it a bit strange. I'll try procdump -h and see what kind of stack I get . . .
Zone

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this looks like a strange interaction with a few 'unrelated' systems that in the end is really a configuration problem.

When the plugin is installed AND
I am working in a C++ sln/vcxproj AND
my _NT_SYMBOL_PATH includes a dead network share AND
my explorer shell has two dead network shares mapped to drive letters

This behavior happens. So there probably nothing to fix in the VisualD, but my linux box needs a new hard drive :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: