FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project on hold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hohums

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Project on hold Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know. This project has been put on hold until either.

1) Someone decides to change the IDE in another/better GUI language
2) We learn more about debugging - ie finding out what variables are visible.
3) Someone else wants to contribute.

There may be minor adjustments but nothing substantial.

qbert is developing D2Debugger which will basicly be an improved version of dig-dug written in C++. You should beable to get that from:
http://www.atari-soldiers.com when it becomes avaliable.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qbert

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just to clear up , the main reason its being put on hold is lack of a reliable GUI lib. Its hard to narrow down problems with code your unfamiliar with when you add in a GUI that crashes every so often without warning.

Q
andy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could implement a console interface in the meantime! Console isn't that bad, and it gives you something to work on until D gets a good GUI toolkit.
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Project on hold Reply with quote

Hohums wrote:
I saw this as as opportunity to try out SDWF a little more, but I ran into what seems like a severe challenge. Dig-dug uses win32.* (Y Tomino's version, I'm guessing). SDWF uses std.c.windows.windows (used by SDWF). And they clash. I suspect it can be worked-around, but I'd rather persue less tedious efforts. Perhaps DFC would work easier...

By the way, what happened to Windy? Is it gone for good? (I can't find mention of it on the atari-soldiers website anymore.)

(Edited for spelling.)

Last edited by jcc7 on Sun May 23, 2004 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Project on hold Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
but I ran into what seems like a severe challenge.
I guess I over-reacted. I don't know how fast it'll go (I'm trying to learn how dig-dug and SDWF work at the same time), but I think I found an effective solution to my conflict problem.
Hohums

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Project on hold Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
Hohums wrote:
I saw this as as opportunity to try out SWDF a little more, but I ran into what seems like a severe challenge. Dig-dug uses win32.* (Y Tomino's version, I'm guessing). SWDF uses std.c.windows.windows (used by SWDF). And they clash. I suspect it can be worked-around, but I'd rather persue less tedious efforts. Perhaps DFC would work easier...

Do you want write access to the SVN stuff? Normally conflicts can be sorted out by giving the full scope.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jcc7

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Project on hold Reply with quote

Hohums wrote:
Do you want write access to the SVN stuff? Normally conflicts can be sorted out by giving the full scope.
That's not necessary. I'm using an intermediate module to keep the clashing names out. Then I use alias to bring in things that I need to un-private:
Code:
alias debugger.DigDug DigDug;

I'm not sure if what I'm doing makes a lot of sense, but I'm getting it to compile now. I'm plodding along, but so far I've only added menu items (I had to start somewhere).
Hohums

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Let us know when you've got things working, or are having problems.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hohums wrote:
Sounds good. Let us know when you've got things working, or are having problems.
I've been having problems with SDWF. Unless I'm reading the docs incorrectly, adding controls to the main window isn't directly supported. I've added in a host of thin wrapper over Win32 API function, but it's getting more and more tedious. And it's not particularly attractive or flexible either. (You might have a renewed interest in using dig if you saw my current results.)

Anyways, I'm really doubtful that I'm headed in the right direction. I guess I'll plod along a little and see if I can figure out how to fill some boxes with debugging data just for fun.

As a sidenote, I'm sure every GUI library will have its weaknesses. I'm not trying to put down SDWF. I'm sure it works well for its author's projects (the samples look very nice).
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If DUI gets running well on win32 (which I believe it will), perhaps this project could try using it for it's interface.

DWT is stalled currently. I believe it can get somewhere eventually, but not anytime soon. DUI, on the other hand, seems to be improving quickly.

Later,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dig-Dug All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: