FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiline string question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petar2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Multiline string question Reply with quote

A newcomer question :
Does MiniD support (or will support) multiline strings like in Ruby ?
I mean something like this :

Code:

this is <<END
mulitline
string
END

It is convenient to copy/paste some text directly, without enclosing every line with "" and escaping " occurences.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All string literals are multiline:

Code:
local str = "oh hi
this is a new line
and a third"

There is, however, no way to do those strings that end with an identifier. The closest you can get is to use a WYSIWYG string. These do not process escape sequences, but their delimiters must be "escaped" by doubling them up:

Code:
local str = `this is some verbatim text
these \a\b\f\n escape sequences won't be processed.
however, if I want to put a backquote in the string,
I have to ``double it up'.`

The `` before "double" is interpreted as a single ` in the string data. The string ends after the final period.
spir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just just discovered MiniD, waow! Highly attractive; and very interesting for me because I have a (toy) language project with numerous similarities with MiniD (among which implementation in D).

About this thread's topic, 2 points:
* Originally, I planned to have strings basically multiline (like D) but reverted to python-like distinction, because of practical annoyance: editors will reinterpret all the rest of the code as soon as one presses '"'; which is indeed stupid and... unfolds everything else till the end of the module (grrr!).
* I also planned to escape special chars, like '{' in your case, by doubling instead of using '\', looks easier for non-programmers. But then string "uncoding" seems a bit more complicated: one needs to look for patterns like <'{' with no other '{' behind>, instead of using basic replace tools. Or split the string on '{{', interpret the rest, then join back with '{'. Or manually iterate and replace/interpret on the way.

What do you think?

Denis
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can make your language however you like!
maustin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushing your own language on another man's language forum? Denis, how could you? Wink. See you on pilud - haven't been there for a while!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: