FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cyclic dependency between modules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drobo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: cyclic dependency between modules Reply with quote

Hi

I'm trying to port a C library and I'm getting an error something like this:
module A cannot read file A.d

There is a cyclic dependency between two of the header files. Eg. they both include each other. Coming from C++ I find this to be bad design. Actually both the headers are quite large and each of them only seems to need a small potion of the other. I cannot with my best intention imagine how not factoring out the common pieces of code is anything else than lazyness.
Anyway, what i wanned to ask is if this cyclic dependency is considered bad practice in D, and if it could be the reason I get the error.

PS. I'm new to D and I find some error messages kind of confusing, so please bear with me if this is a no brainer
mutable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it with a private import. Otherwise post the code.
drobo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to fix the error by using fully qualified names on the modules (wasn't sure if this was necessary as they were both in the same sub-folder)
That led me to another error along the lines of "module A conflicts with module A..."
so I figured I should combat the cyclic dependency by refactoring a couple of structs into a new module and import that. After that it works fine.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to read up on private imports =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: