FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux is up and running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Linux is up and running Reply with quote

I'm posting this from my shiny new Mepis installation. I did attempt to install Debian 3.0_r2, but ran into some problems. Unlike every other Linux installation I've used, there was no option to configure my Lan card, nor did it detect it automatically. I thought I would log into X windows and configure it from there, but there were errors running X. Ultimately, I gave up and downloaded Mepis.

Talk about user-friendly. I have never seen a Linux install like that. Mandrake and SUSE were the smoothest I had seen previously, but Mepis blows them away. Everything works right out of the box. The LiveCD is a brilliant concept, and I can see myself burning copies for a few friends to try without installing.

I expect I will gradually be spending more time on the Linux as I reaccquaint myself with it. And as things start clicking for me I'll get busy on getting functional Derelict Linux stuff into SVN. I'd really like to get Linux support in for the 0.2 release as everyone who has posted here or in the D NG other than myself have been wanting to use it on Linux. This means I'll miss my target release date of Halloween day (which was really looking iffy anyway). But, oh well.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horray! i'm not sure how new to linux you are but here are some tips : )

if you want to find packages www.debian.org/distrib/packages
type 'sdl' gives all sdl packages and 'openal' the openal ones. i think you need the dev ones for it to work.

install with:
su
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade ' to update all software, avoid if you have slow inet connect.
apt-get install packagename

you can also use the boot cd as a rescue disk to repair X config, grub loader, or reinstall.
oh, and you can burn new versions to a cd and reinstall while keeping your home directory in tact! : )
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:

install with:
su
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade ' to update all software, avoid if you have slow inet connect.
apt-get install packagename

Forget that! It's KPackage for me. I'm not afraid of the command line, but I only use it when I need to. Actually upgrading was the first thing I did. The only problem I've had so far is that it took me a while to figure out how to get my Nvidia drivers activated. The rest has been a breeze. This is hands down the best Linux distro I've used.
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldacron,

I'm glad to hear you found a distribution with such a straight forward installation process. I know they are out there. People seem to be trying harder and harder to make the process easier.

I haven't actually used the Mepis distribution before, but it must be a welcome relief from some of the other distributions out there. Is it Debian based?

As for the graphics driver problems, well that's just kind of typical of Linux still. Nvidia and ATI seem to be starting to support Linux more, but it hasn't been as much a priority for them. Nvidia, from what I understand, though, does a better job with it's Linux drivers than ATI. Yet so far, I've got my ATI mobile graphics running great on Linux, nonetheless (full 3D hardware opengl works great). Performance supposedly lags the windows drivers, but not enough for me to care about.

I hope this means derelict on Linux will be a huge success. Smile

Later,

John R.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hum. you might have to use the command line to get sound working.
type 'alsaconf' follow instructions : )

ok, you already got nvidia drivers working, so this post is probably useless (unless there's future mepis users wondering the same thing)

apt-get install nvidia-glx or kpackage equivilent, search for nvidia-glx and select it for install

go to mepis control center -> display -> select 'use real nvidia driver' or some option like that : ) forget exact.

tadah! nvidia driver is installed. no command line required : )

www.mepis.org
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Is it Debian based?

Yes

Quote:

As for the graphics driver problems, well that's just kind of typical of Linux still. Nvidia and ATI seem to be starting to support Linux more, but it hasn't been as much a priority for them. Nvidia, from what I understand, though, does a better job with it's Linux drivers than ATI. Yet so far, I've got my ATI mobile graphics running great on Linux, nonetheless (full 3D hardware opengl works great). Performance supposedly lags the windows drivers, but not enough for me to care about.

Actually, I've never had a problem setting installing NVidia drivers the couple of times I've done it. And there was no problem this time, really. Mepis does things a bit differently than what I've seen before. You can install the driver files easily through apt-get, but you have to activate them in the control center. And of course, you need to restart the X Server to take effect. It took me a bit of reading to figure out that I needed to activate them, and then when I ended the seesion and logged back in I thought I was restarting the X Server. It took a few tries before I found an option in the login box menu to restart it. I've always used a command line login in the past, and startX. Didn't even know there was a meny on the graphical login box.

Anyway, loving it so far. The only time I've logged in to Windows in the past day was to export my Firefox bookmarks. Mepis automatically made the Windows drive available to me, so I didn't need to configure anything for it like in other distros.
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
hum. you might have to use the command line to get sound working.
type 'alsaconf' follow instructions : )

Sound has been a bitch on every distro I've used except Mandrake 8. And now Mepis Smile It worked right out og the box. My onboard NForce2/Realtek Ethernet worked right away (Debian didn't do that!), my CD burner, everything except the graphics driver.

Right now I'm setting up a development environment. Replaced that Blackdown Java crap with the JDK1.5 from Sun, got dmd, subversion, and pulling some other stuff down. Life is good Smile
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I've had issues with blackdown java. You're doing the right thing by switching to the Sun Java release. I had troubles running Eclipse and the D plugin while using Blackdown. Switching to Sun's Java fixed the mysterious problem.

As for drivers, I've had some trouble with sound drivers before, but I've usually been able to work things out. Probably the most trouble I've had with several distributions is CD rewritable operation. Never seems to work properly out of the box, and rarely, if ever, have I got it working. Looks like you've got a great setup, if that works for you.

One thing I like about linux in general, though, is the huge availability of different languages and compilers. It's really quite fun. Modula 3 works right out of the box (language that is over a decade old, but has a lot of features similar to D, yet it's engineered from a Pascal POV).

Anyway have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: