FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compiling with 0.102?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Compiling with 0.102? Reply with quote

Two questions:

1) Is undig compilable in it's current state? For me, "make install" worked up to dedit where it finally stalled. Running some of the examples that did compile either failed to run completely (halhello: window appears then immediately disappears) or doesn't operate properly (cartoon: no 3D rendering within main window).

2) Has there ever been a way to prevent the console windows from appearing when an undig based project has been run? I realize that undig projects use "main" instead of "winmain" so perhaps removing the console is not possible.

I realize this project is not likely to continue. But I'm just curious to know other people's successes. #2 is of particular interest to me because knowing how to prevent the console window from appearing in windows (with a "main" based program) would be useful to me in other projects.

Thanks,

John
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Compiling with 0.102? Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
1) Is undig compilable in it's current state? For me, "make install" worked up to dedit where it finally stalled. Running some of the examples that did compile either failed to run completely (halhello: window appears then immediately disappears) or doesn't operate properly (cartoon: no 3D rendering within main window).

It's usually tricky to compile undig, but I thought it was possible with the current code. I guess I haven't tried yet with 0.102, though. Something may have broken again.

But none of the programs have run properly for a while. A variety of error messages appear on the console and through messageboxes. Sad Something is subtly different at runtime. I don't think anyone has spend much time trying to figure out what it is. Several bugs have probably crept in.

JJR wrote:
2) Has there ever been a way to prevent the console windows from appearing when an undig based project has been run? I realize that undig projects use "main" instead of "winmain" so perhaps removing the console is not possible.

I would think that if you add this
Code:
-L/EXET:NT -L/SU:windows myWinApp.d
to the DMD options, you would achieve that. I've used this method, but I've never tried it with undig. (By the way, it's in an FAQ.)

JJR wrote:
I realize this project is not likely to continue. But I'm just curious to know other people's successes. #2 is of particular interest to me because knowing how to prevent the console window from appearing in windows (with a "main" based program) would be useful to me in other projects.
Probably some parts of undig will be salvaged will others will be abandoned.
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Compiling with 0.102? Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
JJR wrote:

Code:
to the DMD options, you would achieve that. I've used this method, but I've never tried it with undig. (By the way, it's in an FAQ.)

Ah, yes, it is in the FAQ. Thanks! Unfortunately, this still assumes that I'm using WinMain() in my program. Otherwise, I don't think those switches will succeed in removing the console (well, that's what the linker manual says). I'll play with it and see what happens for interests sake. Of course, now that I think of it, I think undig has an embedded WinMain in the lib... so maybe somehow it does work.

Thanks for the link.

Later,

John .
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiling with 0.102? Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
jcc7 wrote:
Code:

Ah, yes, it is in the FAQ. Thanks! Unfortunately, this still assumes that I'm using WinMain() in my program. Otherwise, I don't think those switches will succeed in removing the console (well, that's what the linker manual says). I'll play with it and see what happens for interests sake. Of course, now that I think of it, I think undig has an embedded WinMain in the lib... so maybe somehow it does work.

Thanks for the link.

Later,

John .

It works fine with main(). Also, probably you'd want to do /su:windows:4 to avoid some problems. And it should work with unDig too.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Compiling with 0.102? Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
It works fine with main(). Also, probably you'd want to do /su:windows:4 to avoid some problems. And it should work with unDig too.

Thanks, Carlos and Justin. The linker switches do indeed work as described even with main() on undig. Digging around, I found that digc actually has an option "windowed" that is supposed to do the same thing. I guess these options weren't being used on the undig examples for the sake of console debugging?

Thanks for your patience. I haven't played with dig for a long time. I guess most of this information could have been discovered with enough searching.

Later,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> unDig All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: