FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matthew's new phobos fixing effort

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Matthew's new phobos fixing effort Reply with quote

Although I find Matthew's idea rather good, I'm afraid it will cripple the Ares effort (in terms of participation from the community). (If people agree with me here, I might take the thoughts to the NG, or some of you might.)

Matthew seems to have Walter's blessing (which is good for the effort). He also plan to use the NG, but no matter what the restrictions he put on the answers, I believe he might find those offending posts that he despise. I don't think this effort will be organized enough to work in the long run and it is also to dependent on Matthew as Phobos previously been on Walter.

The problem here is that if both of us (the Ares effort and Matthew's effort) continues, we will become competitors in some way, degrading the quality of one or both.
andy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be too hard to incorporate Matthew's changes, would it?

I was under the impression that Ares was brought into being because Walter can't keep up. If Ares can't, who can? Wink
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Matthew's new phobos fixing effort Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
Matthew seems to have Walter's blessing (which is good for the effort).
Walter blesses many ideas. What I'm wondering is how quickly he incorporates the results.

larsivi wrote:
(If people agree with me here, I might take the thoughts to the NG, or some of you might.)
Another approach would be to develop an organized consensus on what the changes should be here (in this forum) and post the results to the NG thread (with a list of those of us that support our finding).

larsivi wrote:
He also plan to use the NG, but no matter what the restrictions he put on the answers, I believe he might find those offending posts that he despise.
If there's a topic, people can always wander off of it.

larsivi wrote:
I don't think this effort will be organized enough to work in the long run and it is also to dependent on Matthew as Phobos previously been on Walter.
And it's still dependent on Walter, as it usually is. Wink

larsivi wrote:
The problem here is that if both of us (the Ares effort and Matthew's effort) continues, we will become competitors in some way, degrading the quality of one or both.
Competition is healthy. Cooperation is healthy, too. Matthew should know where to find us if he wants to help us directly, but maybe he missed those posts...
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how we'll have to keep up with compiler releases in the future, API changes will undoubtedly be a part of that. So if we're prepared for everything to break for each re-release of DMD, then this doesn't change our task at all.

I hate the idea of duplicating effort, but I agree with JC that competition is healthy for the community.

Also, there are many ancillary goals that Ares can adopt once the primary goal of refactoring/improving phobos is done.

I think we should proceed as planned.
sean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. And I think most of Matthew's effort will be focused on core issues, which may not impact us a whole lot anyway. Also, some things (like exceptions) really do need Walter's involvement, especially if they require compiler support. If Matthew can accomplish this then more power to him.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. We're good to go, then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: