FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New MiniD 2 implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: New MiniD 2 implementation Reply with quote

I'm working on it! I know it hasn't seemed like I've been doing anything but I've been doing a LOT over the past 2 weeks, none of which I've committed yet. I've reimplemented most of the MiniD2 interpreter, API, and other implementation details. It runs code! Still to go are the stdlibs and compiler. Ugh, the compiler.

Probably the biggest changes are the new Lua-like API, which is because of the other big change: it now has its own GC and does its own memory allocation. Also, preliminary tests have shown the new interpreter to be faster than the old one in virtually every way, though I'll have to run some more thorough benchmarks for statistical significance Wink
Kosmonaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I have been a lurker in this forum. But nonetheless I have followed the MiniD development with interest. Lots of thing to learn from the source code.

Do you have an idea when we could see this new implementation committed in the source code repository? There's a timeline? or something like that?

Thanks for the hard word, and congratulations for this great project.

Kosmonaut
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy

Things are progressing a bit faster than I anticipated. If all goes well, I hope to have the standard library converted over to the new API (which might imply some new API constructs being created) within the next week or two, at which point I'll upload it. Or I might just upload it sooner, since I'm starting to get antsy. But right now, it's by no means in any shape for serious use. I have it compiling stuff by piping the output of the old minidc into my test program X)

Eee hee hee, you'll like the new options for coroutine support.
Ligustah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Great!

I can't wait to get my hands on that new implementation.
It's pretty nice that you managed to get the interpreter even faster!

Mfg Ligustah
Kosmonaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JarrettBillingsley wrote:
Thanks! Very Happy

Things are progressing a bit faster than I anticipated. If all goes well, I hope to have the standard library converted over to the new API (which might imply some new API constructs being created) within the next week or two, at which point I'll upload it. Or I might just upload it sooner, since I'm starting to get antsy. But right now, it's by no means in any shape for serious use. I have it compiling stuff by piping the output of the old minidc into my test program X)

Eee hee hee, you'll like the new options for coroutine support.

Well, that's great! You just take your time, it was just curiousity what drove me to ask the timeline, but its nice to know that its near completion. I'll check this forum periodically.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's up now, in /branches/v2new. No, it's not complete. No, it probably doesn't work out of the box right now. I have it on life support, hooked up to hard-coded executables and temporary loading mechanisms on my end.
Kosmonaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Completely unespected. Well, at least we get a glimpse of what will become the new MiniD 2. Thanks!
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah so, I've been working (job). Things just keep getting pushed back. Redesigning the compiler is a lot less fun than redesigning the interpreter X|
Kosmonaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JarrettBillingsley wrote:
Yeah so, I've been working (job). Things just keep getting pushed back. Redesigning the compiler is a lot less fun than redesigning the interpreter X|

Well, it seems we will have to wait more Laughing

Don't worry, take your time, real life sometimes interfers with everything else.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*force persuasion* You want to drop your job and return to MiniD hacking Shocked
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doing nothing, you know. Wink I'm up to the codegen phase of the compiler, which is certainly the trickiest part in terms of memory management. Once that's done, things should move much more smoothly.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codegen is done. By that I mean "I've run it through some tests and it seems to be behaving itself." There are undoubtedly bugs in it somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: