FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MiniD 1 and MiniD 2: which will survive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: MiniD 1 and MiniD 2: which will survive? Reply with quote

OK, given how much time I've had to work on MiniD since last summer (not a lot), and given how many people use MiniD 1 (not many), I'm thinking of having MiniD 2 supplant MiniD 1. That is, support for MD1 will be dropped much as support for Phobos was dropped a year ago (although it will be tagged so people can still download it).

The reason I say this is that after working on MiniD 2 for a while, I've found a a lot of bugs, as well as a lot of inconsistencies and lacking areas in the native API. I don't know if it's worth backporting all of the changes I've made in MiniD 2 to MiniD 1, considering how few people are using it, and also considering how much the language has changed (and how the API has matured).

So I guess my question is: are there a lot of people using MiniD 1? And if so, how many of you would object to there being a lack of updates for it? I don't get the impression that many people have used MiniD for anything more than a bit of playing around, so it doesn't seem like several breaking changes would be much of a problem, but I just wanted to make sure.
vektorboson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for MiniD 2.0 / D 2.0;
I was a MiniD 1 / D 1.0 user, but because of the D 1.0/2.0 shism I'm not using D for now. (I assume that MiniD 2.0 depends on D 2.0)
When Walter doesn't make breaking changes anymore and all major libraries/tools move to D 2.0 I don't think there will be many people who stay with D 1.0.
Propably I'll then come back to D.
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
because of the D 1.0/2.0 shism I'm not using D for now

Really? The entire point of version 1 having come out was so that people would use it, since so many people were tired of programming for a moving standard. D2 is very much alpha and I don't think anyone is/will be using it for anything serious for some time.

Quote:
I assume that MiniD 2.0 depends on D 2.0

Oh absolutely not Smile I'm not going to touch D2 until it calms down quite a bit, and even then I'm probably not going to focus development on it unless it offers something really useful or it reaches a frozen state.

Quote:
Propably I'll then come back to D.

Please come back! D1 is perfectly fine Smile
vektorboson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess, I have to come back then... Laughing

Though it's really a mess to setup a D toolchain on a Linux+AMD64 environment (GDC crashes with Tango, seems to be a very old bug...) and DSSS+DMD is really a nightmare...

Though, I guess I have to bug you with some questions! Wink
- How usable/stable is MiniD 2 now? How big are the API-changes? Is there a lot to do when switching from 1.0 to 2.0?

- You mentioned you'd eventually include custom allocators; is there any chance for them?
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- How usable/stable is MiniD 2 now? How big are the API-changes? Is there a lot to do when switching from 1.0 to 2.0?

It's not quite stabilized; there are only a few more language features I'd like to at least try to implement, as well as some additions to the standard libraries and API improvements. I've been using it for homework assignments and such, though, without much issue. Found some bugs Wink Overall though I'd say that it's probably better-tested and less buggy than MiniD 1 right now.

The API currently is not that different from MiniD1's API. It's mostly just been expanded and improved in a couple areas, such as function calls, and new API functions for some new features. There's one thing that I've been considering that would be a fairly fundamental change, though, and that's to change the API to not be so reliant on MDStates and instead have everything go through MDContext instead. That would have an impact on all native functions, at least in their signatures, but probably wouldn't amount to much more than a search-and-replace.

Quote:
- You mentioned you'd eventually include custom allocators; is there any chance for them?

I'll admit I haven't thought about it. I feel like it's something that could be implemented on top (as an optional version, for example) of the library after it's been stabilized. If it gets implemented it'll probably be much later in development, closer to when it's released, if not afterwards.
vektorboson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JarrettBillingsley wrote:
There's one thing that I've been considering that would be a fairly fundamental change, though, and that's to change the API to not be so reliant on MDStates and instead have everything go through MDContext instead. That would have an impact on all native functions, at least in their signatures, but probably wouldn't amount to much more than a search-and-replace.

Sounds OK; I checked my functions, and they only use getParam!(), push() and the context of the passed MDState.
I hope though that those changes don't break my scheduler, as it uses MDStates, which are called through the MainThread of a MDContext.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: