FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

couple of issues/suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
obijohn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: couple of issues/suggestions Reply with quote

On Windows, makeAll wouldn't complete. After some checking, it turns out that building the library completed, but compiling the tests failed. So, I manually copied the gtkd.lib file to the d\dmd\lib folder (to make it easy for link to find it) and tried to compile HelloWorld.d. Well, it still wouldn't compile. After finally figuring out that advapi32 was the problem, and figuring out how to get it to link with advapi32, the program finally compiled. But then it wouldn't run, complaining about not finding the gtk dlls.

Well, this was odd because I do have gtk installed, and it's in my path. In fact, I have two other language bindings using gtk, and both of them work and find the dlls. So, I dug around the gtkD source and located the problem: the path to the Gtk dlls is hard-coded (for Windows). This is a bad idea. I have Gtk installed at C:\Gtk, not "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Gtk\2.0" or whatever god-awful location is chosen as the default. I think most developers have their own idea of what a good install location for a library should be, and most probably don't use the default location chosen by a setup program. Well, maybe saying "most" is pushing it, but I'm sure it's a large percentage.

I don't have it open right now, but I believe the file in question is load.d or loadpath.d or something similar. I changed the function that returns the library path to return an empty string so that the PATH environment is searched. That worked. Since the binary installation of Gtk for Windows adds it's install location to the PATH environment variable anyway, there is no need to hard-code the location in the source or search the Registry for keys, especially since other users might decide to install it in another more convenient location, or they may even install it from a zip instead of a setup executable and set the PATH variable themselves (like I did). At the very least, gtkD could use it's own environment variable to set the load path.

Anyway, after rebuilding gtkD with that fix, the resulting HelloWorld.exe file actually ran (yay). However, I did notice that it seemed to load all the gtk dlls, which it shouldn't because it just uses a frame and a label. The size on disk was about 500KB, but in memory it was over 8MB. A similar program using the gtkAda bindings, just using a frame and label, is a little over 3MB in memory once the dlls are loaded (and the regular Ada runtime is quite a bit larger than the D runtime), so I believe it has something to do with gtkD loading all the dlls instead of just what's needed. This is not that big a deal, I just thought I'd mention it as something to look into. I realize that any program of reasonable complexity will probably need all the dlls loaded anyway.

These issues aside, I think gtkD is an important project. I believe D needs a good cross-platform GUI package in order for it to gain more widespread acceptance, and gtkD looks like it's shaping up nicely.
Pse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the windows expert around here, but the recommended method for building gtkD on Linux is DSSS. Changes were implemented to get it to compile in Windows, so you may want to try that. "makeAll.sh" and "compd" should probably be considered deprecated unless someone steps up to maintain them.
obijohn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makeAll and compd are deprecated? Then I guess the Getting Started page should be changed, since it says "just run the included makeAll file". Also, makeAll and compd should be removed from the latest distribution if this is the case.

Building problems aside, the biggest issue for Windows is the hard-coded dll load path. First, hard-coding that path doesn't matter if another process has already loaded some of the gtk dlls, since those will be used instead. Second, if someone, including an end-user of the program being developed, has installed gtk to a different location, the program will never find the dlls even if they are in the PATH environment variable.
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows version does need some work, that's a fact. No, the dll path should not be hardcoded as it is.... the current state was kind of a quick solution very early on that never really got fixed other than via the registry lookup method (which I think was added by Allan K. at a time he was contributing heavily to the project). I think that the registry method is actually a valid technique on win32, but it's greatest shortcoming is that it is only supported using Phobos. Therefore, I'm not really interested in maintaining that code.

I agree that hardcoding the path should be removed. Setting the path environment hopefully is reliable enough, but windows dll's are horribly subpar in their mechanism and versioning. It's already been a pain dealing with preloaded dll's that occur elsewhere. The user must be sure to put the rutime gtk libraries in the path first before any other occurences of the dlls. And then we also have to hope other gtk dll's (from some software that uses it's own versions) aren't currently loaded. I'm really unimpressed with the difficulties associated with loading the dll's created on win32. Clever and reliable solutions to this problem are welcome.

Nonethless, I actually think keeping it simple with a none-hardcoded dll load procedure is the best /simple/ solution for now. Also we will encourage the use of one supported gtk+ install runtime (see Trac wiki page)... and encourage users to make sure it occurs first in their path. But I still see the possibility of trouble, not so much for developers, but for end-users of the software products that make use of gtkD because of the problems associated with win32 dll's.

So please add a ticket for this change.

Concerning makeall and compd: they are not at all officially deprecated. It's just that a few of us (maybe a very few Smile ) have been moaning and groaning about the confusion they cause (I've been one of those few). As Pse said, there hasn't really been much of a voice concerning support, improvement, documentation, and development of these tools either, so I see little point for them to stay. And I've said so on several occasions.

I would prefer it if we could just maintain dsss support and discontine compd and makeall to eliminate assumptions that they work properly (and to keep support to a single build mechanism). I don't know who is maintaining these build tools, but I know that I am not. For now they sit there cluttering the gtkd directory until something is done. Smile So if someone is still using compd, please speak up and offer a solution for properly supporting and documenting them with gtkd.

Yes, I know these things remain in the wiki page of the project... but these can't really be removed until a decision is made about what is going on with gtkd. I'm hoping these things can be resolved soon. If they end up remaining unresovled for too long, I may just make an arbitrary decision on this. I'm really hoping this doesn't have to happen, though.

Last edited by JJR on Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: couple of issues/suggestions Reply with quote

obijohn wrote:
On Windows, makeAll wouldn't complete. After some checking, it turns out that building the library completed, but compiling the tests failed. So, I manually copied the gtkd.lib file to the d\dmd\lib folder (to make it easy for link to find it) and tried to compile HelloWorld.d. Well, it still wouldn't compile. After finally figuring out that advapi32 was the problem, and figuring out how to get it to link with advapi32, the program finally compiled. But then it wouldn't run, complaining about not finding the gtk dlls.

The advapi32 library dependency is actually provided in the dsss.conf for the demos. So if you use dsss, this should be solved. Also the advapi32 is only a requirement because the win32 registry functions are accessed via Phobos registry functions in the dynamic loader. Tango does not use this, so doesn't need the -ladvapi32 flag added.

There is still a lot of cleanup that needs to be done with gtkd, I admit.

Also, while working with another project, I noticed many of the gtk+ bindings and structs are actually missing. Some structs may also be improperly aligned. I will hopefully be able to carry back a solution to this from the other project. This could complete the bindings and provide properly tested/aligned structs. This also could prevent name collisions with future versions of gtkD (GError class name with GError gtk+ struct).

We'll get it fixed up. Wink
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few other bindings that i konw of that require that the gtk bin dir is added to the PATH (Gtk2Perl, PyGTK and Ruby-Gnome2) that might also be a good option for GtkD.
heromyth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pse wrote:
I'm not the windows expert around here, but the recommended method for building gtkD on Linux is DSSS. Changes were implemented to get it to compile in Windows, so you may want to try that. "makeAll.sh" and "compd" should probably be considered deprecated unless someone steps up to maintain them.

DSSS should be the best choice, although I today have built GtkDTests SVN successfully with compd + DMD v1.027 + GTK v 2.12.8 under WinXP SP2.

Of course, my success is painful:
1) I downloaded GTK+ developement and runtime libraries v 2.12.8 , added them to PATH, converted GTK+'s DLL to import libraries for DMD.
Running batch file:
Code:
implib /system glib-2.lib libglib-2.0-0.dll
implib /system atk-1.lib libatk-1.0-0.dll
implib /system cair-2.lib libcairo-2.dll
implib /system gdk-win32-2.lib libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll
implib /system gdk_pixbuf-2.lib libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll
implib /system gmodule-2.lib libgmodule-2.0-0.dll
implib /system gobject-2.lib libgobject-2.0-0.dll
implib /system gthread-2.lib libgthread-2.0-0.dll
implib /system gtk-win32-2.lib libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
implib /system pango-1.lib libpango-1.0-0.dll
implib /system pangocairo-1.lib libpangocairo-1.0-0.dll
implib /system pangoft2-1.lib libpangoft2-1.0-0.dll
implib /system pangowin32-1.lib libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll
implib /system png13.lib libpng13.dll

and got these import libraries:
Code:
gtk-win32-2.lib
gdk-win32-2.lib
gobject-2.lib
gthread-2.lib
pango-1.lib
glib-2.lib
atk-1.lib
gdk_pixbuf-2.lib

2) Placed all the import libraries into \gtkd\gtklib

3) deleted a file:
Code:
\gtkd\demos\gtkD\DemoMultiCellRenderer.d

Because it conflicts with TestWindow.d when using Compd.

4) Doing some modifications in :
compdGtkD.bat:
Code:
del gtkd.lib
compd    src/atk    src/cairo    src/gdk    src/gtkc    src/glib    src/gobject    src/gthread    src/gtk    src/lib    src/pango    -I src;~/dmd/src/phobos    -olib gtkd

and compdGtkDTests.bat:
Code:
compd demos/gtkD -o GtkDTests -I src -I demos -c -L .\gtklib\+\dmd\lib\+phobos+gtkd.lib+advapi32.lib+gtk-win32-2.lib+gdk-win32-2.lib+gobject-2.lib+gthread-2.lib+pango-1.lib+glib-2.lib+atk-1.lib+gdk_pixbuf-2.lib

Hopping the day comes soon.
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) I downloaded GTK+ developement and runtime libraries v 2.12.8 , added them to PATH, converted GTK+'s DLL to import libraries for DMD.

GtkD dynamically loads the GTK+ dll's, you don't need to convert the dll's to import libraries for DMD Wink
heromyth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wey wrote:
Quote:

GtkD dynamically loads the GTK+ dll's, you don't need to convert the dll's to import libraries for DMD Wink

I had thoutht it did in that way at first. However, I can't link gtkDTest with compd without these import libraries. Sorry for that I don't test gtkD with DSSS under Win32.

==========
Yeah, I finally tested building gtkD with DSSS on Windows and got what I want. The process is so simple. This time, it's no necessary to convert import libraries. Here is a little patch for \gtkd\dsss.conf:
Code:
Index: dsss.conf
===================================================================
--- dsss.conf   (revision 443)
+++ dsss.conf   (working copy)
@@ -7,8 +7,10 @@
 #Since DSSS' support for embedded commands is somewhat limited,
 #we cannot embed the lil' script we need here.
 [+undemofy]
-postbuild = cd demos ; ./demoselect.sh disable-all
-postclean = cd demos ; ./demoselect.sh disable-all
+version (Posix) {
+   postbuild = cd demos ; ./demoselect.sh disable-all
+   postclean = cd demos ; ./demoselect.sh disable-all
+}

#Subdirs don't support hooks, so they've been added
 #to each dsss.conf separately.

and the steps:
1) go to \gtkd in DOS Shell, and run:
dsss build
dsss install
2) go to \gtkd\demos\gtkD, and run:
dsss build

It seems we can really discard the COMPD.
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had thoutht it did in that way at first. However, I can't link gtkDTest with compd without these import libraries. Sorry for that I don't test gtkD with DSSS under Win32.

Looking at the compdGtkD.bat file it looks like src/gtkc is missing fron the list. I added it in r446 but havn't tested it.

Quote:
Yeah, I finally tested building gtkD with DSSS on Windows and got what I want. The process is so simple. This time, it's no necessary to convert import libraries. Here is a little patch for \gtkd\dsss.conf:

added in r444/r445 (Messed it up the first time Embarassed )
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: