FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Runtime Error: SDL_ClearError()

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Runtime Error: SDL_ClearError() Reply with quote

Hello. I'm having some trouble running anything built with Derelict. I always get a segmentation fault in the call to SDL_Init. gdb backtrace is as follows:

Code:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 4157143232 (LWP 15919)]
0x080845c8 in SDL_ClearError ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x080845c8 in SDL_ClearError ()
#1  0xf7eb9e7f in SDL_Init () from /usr/lib32/libSDL-1.2.so.0
#2  0x0804e191 in _Dmain (argvs=579015020893962241) at main.d:8
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0xffc6b108 in ?? ()
#5  0x08058323 in main ()

Code:

import derelict.sdl.sdl;

void main(char[][] argvs)
{
   DerelictSDL.load();
   SDL_Init(0);
   SDL_Quit();
   DerelictSDL.unload();
}

Compiled as follows:
Code:
dmd main.d -I/home/alaran/src/D/dmd/src/ext -c -g && gcc *.o -o main -lphobos -m32 `sdl-config --libs`

I'm running 64-bit Gentoo Linux on my main computer. I run the linker myself so that it will link against the 32-bit SDL instead of the 64-bit, however compiling and linking normally on my 32-bit Ubuntu system has the same problem.

DMD is 1.006, GCC is 4.1.1, SDL is 2.1.11(Gentoo) 2.1.10 (Ubuntu) Derelict is trunk-r228

Any ideas?
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Runtime Error: SDL_ClearError() Reply with quote

SirAlaran wrote:
I'm running 64-bit Gentoo Linux on my main computer. I run the linker myself so that it will link against the 32-bit SDL instead of the 64-bit, however compiling and linking normally on my 32-bit Ubuntu system has the same problem.

The segfault is happening on the C side. DerelictSDL appears to be loading successfully since you can call SDL_Init just fine. I would wager a hefty sum that your problem arises from linking SDL on the command line. That is something you neither should nor need to do. Derelict loads the SDL shared library manually when you call DerelictSDL.load. It does this through libdl. So add -ldl to your command line and remove the SDL stuff.

Once that is done, you may need to pass in a specific library name to DerelictSDL.load in order to specifically load the 32-bit version. It depends upon how the versions are named on your system. Look at derelict.sdl.sdl.d to see which library names are searched for by default.

On a side note, the call to DerelictSDL.unload is extraneous. It will be called automatically in a static module destructor. It doesn't hurt anything, but you don't need it unless you explicitly want to control when the shared library resources are released.
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all seems so simple now!

Code:

import derelict.sdl.sdl;

void main(char[][] argvs)
{
    DerelictSDL.load("/usr/lib32/libSDL-1.2.so.0");
    SDL_Init(0);
    SDL_Quit();
}

The build command I used on my 32-bit system was pretty much the same as what I used on the 64-bit. You were right, linking it myself doesn't work. I have lots of experience with C, C++, and some Java, but I'm still fairly new at D.

Thanks for your help.
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirAlaran wrote:
You were right, linking it myself doesn't work. I have lots of experience with C, C++, and some Java, but I'm still fairly new at D.

Well, this isn't actually a 'D-thing'. It's a 'Derelict-thing'. Most D bindings do require you to link to the library yourself. Derelict was intentionally designed to avoid that.
Deltafire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the exact same error when using gdc to compile (using the previous test program):

Code:

$ rebuild test.d -lldl -v
compile   gdmd -version=Posix -version=Tango -c test.d derelict/sdl/sdl.d derelict/util/loader.d derelict/util/exception.d derelict/util/wrapper.d derelict/sdl/active.d derelict/sdl/types.d derelict/sdl/audio.d derelict/sdl/rwops.d derelict/sdl/byteorder.d derelict/sdl/cdrom.d derelict/sdl/cpuinfo.d derelict/sdl/endian.d /usr/local/bin/../include/d/4.0.3/std/intrinsic.d derelict/sdl/error.d derelict/sdl/events.d derelict/sdl/keyboard.d derelict/sdl/keysym.d derelict/sdl/mouse.d derelict/sdl/video.d derelict/sdl/mutex.d derelict/sdl/joystick.d derelict/sdl/syswm.d derelict/sdl/sdlversion.d derelict/sdl/loadso.d derelict/sdl/thread.d derelict/sdl/timer.d  -I/usr/local/include/d/  -od.
link      gdmd ./test.o ./derelict.sdl.sdl.o ./derelict.util.loader.o ./derelict.util.exception.o ./derelict.util.wrapper.o ./derelict.sdl.active.o ./derelict.sdl.types.o ./derelict.sdl.audio.o ./derelict.sdl.rwops.o ./derelict.sdl.byteorder.o ./derelict.sdl.cdrom.o ./derelict.sdl.cpuinfo.o ./derelict.sdl.endian.o ./std.intrinsic.o ./derelict.sdl.error.o ./derelict.sdl.events.o ./derelict.sdl.keyboard.o ./derelict.sdl.keysym.o ./derelict.sdl.mouse.o ./derelict.sdl.video.o ./derelict.sdl.mutex.o ./derelict.sdl.joystick.o ./derelict.sdl.syswm.o ./derelict.sdl.sdlversion.o ./derelict.sdl.loadso.o ./derelict.sdl.thread.o ./derelict.sdl.timer.o  -oftest -q,-rdynamic -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-sys-linux  -L-lSDG-tango-sys-linux  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc-posix  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-text  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-lSDG-tango-stdc  -L-ldl

Note that this is using Tango, I have also tested using Phobos (on a different computer) and get the same error. DMD appears to work fine.
Deltafire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem - it was caused by the -rdynamic flag that was being passed to the linker. I've now removed the flag from rebuild's configuration files.
volcore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same error, in my case it was caused by statically linking libSDL.
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deltafire wrote:
Found the problem - it was caused by the -rdynamic flag that was being passed to the linker. I've now removed the flag from rebuild's configuration files.

BE SURE TO GET RID OF -rdynamic IN REBUILD'S CONFIG FILE.

I already tore my hair out because of this. Trust me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: