FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

common unresolved error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: common unresolved error Reply with quote

Hello,
there is a common unresolved error:

http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D.learn&artnum=8246

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss/ticket/147

http://dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3095

Code:

D:\Projekte\D\Test>dsss build
Could not detect versions.
test.d => test
+ D:\Software\Entwickeln\D\dsss\bin\rebuild.exe -Idsss_imports\ -I. -S.\ -ID:\So
ftware\Entwickeln\D\dsss\include\d -SD:\Software\Entwickeln\D\dsss\lib\  -ID:\So
ftware\Entwickeln\D\dsss\include\d -SD:\Software\Entwickeln\D\dsss\lib  -oqdsss_
objs\O  test.d -oftest
Command D:\Software\Entwickeln\D\dsss\bin\rebuild.exe returned with code 1, abor
ting.
Error: Command failed, aborting.

D:\Projekte\D\Test>

I wonder versions of what?

thanks
frank
stax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched your source code for this error, it looks like this:

Code:

// write the test file
    fprintf(tmpfile, "%s", versionFile.c_str());
    fclose(tmpfile);

// get the compile line
    string response;
    bool useresponse;
    string cline = compileCommand("rebuild_tmp.d", response, useresponse);

// test it
#define VERTESTBUF 1024
    char result[VERTESTBUF + 1];
    result[VERTESTBUF] = '\0';
    int i;
    char *lastResult;

if (readCommand(cline, result, VERTESTBUF) < 1) {
        std::cerr << "Could not detect versions." << std::endl;
        exit(1);
    }

it creates a file rebuild_tmp.d with the content:

Code:

version(Win32) { pragma(msg, "Win32"); }
version(Win64) { pragma(msg, "Win64"); }

I've searched for this code too but didn't find it anywhere so my D adventure is really stuck here. It seems it tries to test the compiler so I renamed the directory of the compiler, same error so it don't find the compiler, the error should say compiler not found. I searched your website and application about how to install your software, there are various confusing text files, I didn't find any hints. I find it scary that a software about installing software don't has a installer, reasonable checks, setup instruction/documentation or anything. D is really frustrating, learning about how to build and link takes more time than learning the language basics (C++ and C#/Java knowledge assumed). Everybody uses another standard library or build tool or text editor or IDE (attempt) and all of them require to tinker with the console or configuration files wich the average VisualStudio programmer isn't used too. CLIs use a amateurish syntax like having no space delimiter between switch and param or don't allow space delimiter within file paths, why should I expect somebody not being able to code a CLI be able to program a programming tool? For a experienced linux and C++ people things might not be so hard, coming from windows being used to have wizards/assistants help and tutorials for everything and modern IDE's like VisualStudio .NET and SharpDevelop, getting into D is rather painful. I hope I don't give up on D like I did on C++ (because of the header/decleration/preprocessor madness), the last option would be Delphi since I need to do a COM server with native code. Delphi become a ridiculous joke, it's free like VisualStudio but is a 300 MB download and requires the .NET 1.1 SDK to be installed (another 100 MB) which is obsolete since more than 5 years and besided that the download of the requirements is broke since two days so it can't be downloaded. The installer isn't even themed and uses messy DOS paths (C:\DOKUME~1\Frank\LOKALE~1\...). I knew it will suck before I've even installed it.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, I think (but don't know, don't use Windows) that the message means that rebuild doesn't find the compiler in the path.

Also which version of dsss do you have?
stax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's version 0.75. The message really don't say what the real problem is, nor is there any documenation telling where things have to be moved to or how things have to be registered in order things work together. I probably must be slow not finding out how to use this tool. Mad
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stax wrote:
It's version 0.75. The message really don't say what the real problem is, nor is there any documenation telling where things have to be moved to or how things have to be registered in order things work together. I probably must be slow not finding out how to use this tool. Mad
Usually when I see the "Could not detect versions" message when using DSSS's rebuild, I can fix it by adding the directory with dmd.exe to the path. (I don't understand why it's such a cryptic error message though.)
stax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned about the console a bit, what I made is setting a globale environment variable for a directory I put some batch files in. I've put a batch file in there called denv and in that batch file I set up the PATH environment variable to all directories with binaries regarding D. In the console I can no enter 'denv' and after that all applications fill be found. I've learned that simple by looking into the batch file 'Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt', in the startmenu shortcut the command is: '%comspec% /k ""C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat"" x86'

%comspec% is cmd.exe and /k is to prevent the console to close after the batch processing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DSSS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: