FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is D open ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
binutils

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: is D open ? Reply with quote

here is quote, some ppl replies to my post:

"As far as I know, D is still proprietary and contains Microsoft extensions in the actual language specifications. AFAIK, C was designed to build Unix, but both C and C++ currently favor no OS or platform and are internationally standardized. I'd rather not get into a language battle, but D is no replacement for either in its current state or direction. As with Java it seems to have a closed-ended specification, whereas C and C++ are almost infintely extensible."

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2889663#post2889663
Destructionator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of D is open source, the development discussions happen in the open, the compiler and spec are both free to use, and it compiles perfectly on both Windows and Linux. Of course, there is also gdc.

It is very open.
pqnelson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: is D open ? Reply with quote

Probably too late anyways but...

binutils wrote:
"As far as I know, D is still proprietary and contains Microsoft extensions in the actual language specifications."
Really? Cite a source please!

Quote:
"AFAIK, C was designed to build Unix, but both C and C++ currently favor no OS or platform and are internationally standardized. I'd rather not get into a language battle, but D is no replacement for either in its current state or direction. As with Java it seems to have a closed-ended specification, whereas C and C++ are almost infintely extensible."
Eh? C was originally designed specifically to program a proprietary operating system, C++ was originally a set of macros in C.

D tries to accomplish what C++ did, but only more elegantly and far simpler.

D is not a replacement for C, I don't think it'd be possible since C is a very good language (or it has become one anyways).

But C++ is nothing more than a hacked up version of C. Sometimes this approach of hacking that which already exists works well.

More often than not, it doesn't. C++ is an example of this.

Compare templates in C++ vs. D, or classes for that matter. You don't have the nightmarish time of headers, corresponding .cpp files, #include problems, etc.

As far as I know, D is not "closed"...no more so than C anyways.
dhasenan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach, if only D were popular enough that Microsoft would attempt to extend the language!
pqnelson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhasenan wrote:
Ach, if only D were popular enough that Microsoft would attempt to extend the language!
Yes, that would be the only guaranteed way to kill D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: