FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XML Namespace mapping to modules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svanleent

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: XML Namespace mapping to modules Reply with quote

One of the first things that concerns me with the original Mozilla's XUL library, which is tailored for use with the browser, is that the XML seems to be very inflexible, that is, one is not really able to insert custom controls. One of the things I would like to see is to have namespaces.

If one is using namespaces, one should not limit oneself by only using one namespace for the core implementation, but rather split the namespaces in logical sections, such as:

Arrow xmlns:ctrl for controls such as windows, buttons and dropdown lists
Arrow xmlns:layout for layout items such as rectangles, lines, points and dimensions
Arrow xmlns:style for style items such as colors and fonts
Arrow xmlns:data for data interaction over a certain databus

Good producer and consumer support should be written, I wouldn't find it strange that a GUI runs as lightweight program on a client, and as thus needs to be able to produce and consume data from a databus. A good messaging/signaling system is thus necessary.

Mozilla uses XPCOM, something not already available, which is easier to understand and maintain as CORBA or SOAP, but doesn't support networking. I would go for a databus that is able to listen on network connections as well as local connections (obviously it is not allways wanted to have network access, so this should be an option together with all the security options that belong to it).

It would be good if it is possible to utilize existing libraries such as DWT, Mango, Tango, etc. In certain cases, an easy script engine based on XML might be practical.

Regards,
Sjoerd
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DXUL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: