FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building libraries in D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamasan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Building libraries in D Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to D, so forgive my ignorance. I'm interested in building a library for D. But there are a few things I'm not quite clear on.

From the changelog it seems that Bud can build shared libraries (so) under Linux. But I don't see how to change the target type from static to shared. Does D even support shared libs?

The other thing I am not clear on is the matter of "headers" or lack there of. I see many mentions of placing library source files in src/ext or similar - does one have to include the full source of the library in order to build against it?

(I'm using gdc under Linux). Thanks in advance.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Building libraries in D Reply with quote

jamasan wrote:
I'm relatively new to D, so forgive my ignorance. I'm interested in building a library for D. But there are a few things I'm not quite clear on.

From the changelog it seems that Bud can build shared libraries (so) under Linux. But I don't see how to change the target type from static to shared. Does D even support shared libs?

I'm sorry but I don't thik that the creation of shared linux libraries are supported yet by gdc or dmd.

jamasan wrote:
The other thing I am not clear on is the matter of "headers" or lack there of. I see many mentions of placing library source files in src/ext or similar - does one have to include the full source of the library in order to build against it?

No, you do not have to use the full source of a module to build using the module in a library. You create a 'header' version of the module source file. You can do this automatically with dmd using the -H switch - this creates a D interface file which is really a 'header' file. Alternatively you can do one by hand - just identify the public symbols and remove the implementation stuff.

eg.
Code:

int foo(short a, char[] b) {
       b[a] = ' ';
}

becomes
Code:

int foo(short, char[]);

In order to have both the implementation and the header file in the same -I scope, change the file extention to ".di" for the header file and place them in a different location then point to them using a -I switch.
marcio

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Building libraries on Windows Reply with quote

Hi,

How can I build a library? For example, I have two files:

Code:
// main.d
import std.stdio;

void main() {
   writefln("main");
}

// test.d
void test() {
}

So, to create a library I do this:

Code:
bud main.d -clean -lib
bud test.d -clean -link main.lib

The first command runs just fine, but the second one says:

Quote:
OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 7.50B1
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001 All Rights Reserved

OPTLINK : Warning 23: No Stack
OPTLINK : Warning 134: No Start Address

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,

P.S.: I'm using Bud v3.04 and DMD v1.014 on Windows XP.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I can see what you are trying to do.

You want to have a library that contains the 'main' entry point for a program and you want to compile other programs that do not specify 'main' but link in the 'main' library instead.

This is not a Bud issue. This is a problem with DMD. I don't know how to force DMD's linker to do what you want, but I'll do some more research etc ...

Here is how I think it should be done using just DMD...

Code:

dmd main.d -c
lib -c -l main.lib main.obj
dmd test.d main.lib

but as you note, the linker doesn't recognize the stack address and start address.
marcio

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

I thought it was a problem with Bud, but now I see it isn't
Thanks anyway Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: