FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programs !== Files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svanleent

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Programs !== Files Reply with quote

Hello Trevor,

Just to throw in some additional craziness, many operating systems (except a very few) take a program to have the form of a file. This always has seem to me to be quite strange, and doesn't follow any natural logic. Also with newer approaches to UI (such as the now almost famous BumpTop idea) can't handle such things. Also it clutters machine code and documents into one hierarchical system.

I would propose to take away program files and store them into some kind of database (so a program and library database, which seems to be much more efficient to maintain, since programs don't really need to be set up into a hierarchy.)

Now files (documents, content) can be stored in a file system, either in to some kind of hierarchy, or something completely different.

anyway, I would consider a much more humane approach to this, I would think in terms of desks and cabinets, which could even be browsed with a 3D browser, such as the previously mentioned BumpTop.

The list of things I would consider:

Arrow Have an Application/Library database and managers (OS applications such as these are obviously also stored in the same database)
Arrow Documents are now stored in a File System apart from applications
Arrow File system redesign, build around more humane objects such as desks, draws, cabinets, a form of storage that is more natural
Arrow A 3D user interface such as BumpTop (obviously adapted)

Sjoerd
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Titan All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: