FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Llama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
syllogism

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Llama Reply with quote

Planning is underway at the moment, but here are some of the main goals of this project:

-Create an operating system that anyone can use. Easy configuration of anything is a goal that will be achieved by the use of a standard configuration file that every program must obey(well, in order to make use of the wonderful configuration tool)

-Encourage ANYONE to help with development. . . even if you say to yourself. . "I don't know anything about kernel development!", there is still a lot of things that you could do! - for instance, there is currently no logos or icons or anything that depict a llama for this project Smile

-Make the OS extremely aware of network resources - similar to the way that KDE will let you open smb:// or devices:// - this is a handy feature. Making network resources appear as 'transparent' as possible to the filesystem also makes life easier.

-Make use of the existing standards where possible, such as UDI for drivers! - UDI will allow any driver written that follows UDI standards to operate on any other OS(that follows the UDI standard of course)!!! - Think of the possibilities!

-Keep things organized. I can't tell you how many times I get frustrated with projects that dont' keep things logical. Most of the time you really have to study the project to understand what it's supposed to be doing, hopefully this can be avoided where possible as it also boosts development time for newcomers. This key point should apply to Documentation, source code, and anywhere else that makes sense(ok - maybe a little vague, but you get the point)

-The main goal is to provide a unique experience and get away from all of the downfalls of other Operating systems, *however*, making the task of porting other applications to llama is also important. It should be made as easy as possible or else the OS will never take off.

-Last, but not least, we need to really keep an open mind. Don't think we have to do things a certain way just because someone else does! Let's change some things and make them the way we want!

I hope that gives an idea of what I'm after at least. . . If there's anyone out there interested at all - please drop me a line or join #d on freenode.

--Brad DeMorrow
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chojin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, no offense here but you're already talking about GUI features and you're still in pre-alpha status?

How much experience do you have with kernel/OS design?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> osian All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: