FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

compiling issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
genericdave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: compiling issues Reply with quote

First of all I want to say how impressed I am with this project's progress. I've seen tons of similar projects that get started only to be dropped a few months into development. I actually attempted to make something similar a while back, but became dissatisfied with the limitations of the language it was written in. I was planning on starting over in D when I stumbled upon this little gem.

Anyway, I would dearly love to help out, but I'm having a bit of trouble compiling 0.2. In fact I don't even know how to get started. Should I just wait until 0.2 is officially released?

Keep up the good work!
ChristianK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

If you're mainly interested in using arc for your projects, I'd advise you to stay with Arc v0.1 for the moment. While a lot of progress has been made towards Arc v0.2, it's still in its infancy.

However, if you don't mind living on the bleeding edge or want to actively help improving Arc, go with the code in the svn repository. If that's what you want, please let me know, because I've been developing the branch containing the scene graph locally and would commit it in that case.

As for compiling: Since dmd's compile times are great, we've never actually compiled the v0.2 code to a library. If you want to see some examples, check the arcunittest directory. Use bud to compile the examples with -I.. -op (and -L-ldl on linux). For some of them you'll need data from downloads/*.
genericdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you don't mind living on the bleeding edge or want to actively help improving Arc, go with the code in the svn repository.

That was exactly what I had in mind. Mind you, it might take me a bit of time to get off the ground since I'm so new to D, and I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to this in the near future, but I'm definitely interested in taking a crack at the code. Although at this point I'm still having trouble getting anything to compile. I ran bud -I.. -op like you told me, but pretty much every unittest gives me one of two errors:

Error: undefined identifier SDL_QUIT

or

Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (funcName) of type char[] to char*

Sorry, but I'm still a bit clueless when it comes to compiling in D. The first one seems to be a linker error, although I thought that bud was supposed to take care of all the dependencies automatically. Ack, I've never been very good with compilers anyway, although D is a thousand time s better than C in that category.
ChristianK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Error: undefined identifier SDL_QUIT

That's my fault. I recently removed a public import of all the SDL_ symbols, since arc seems to define its own ARC_ symbols. (though I'm not exactly sure why Clay did it)

I forgot to update the unittests there. Did so now.

Quote:
Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (funcName) of type char[] to char*

This error results from D recently disallowing implicit conversions from arrays to pointers. I think these should have been fixed; but if you find such an error, please report it with the details. (maybe open a ticket)

Anyway, try checking out the newest revision. Some of the unittests (I tried A, B, C and G2) should compile now.

Also check out examples/asteroids (you need to check out downloads/astbin into that directory for the image data): I've recently started updating the example to arc v.2 showing how to integrate physics and graphics. All the scenegraph code is still fluctuating though.

If you're still having trouble compiling, just ask again.
genericdave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, your update fixed the first error, but the second error is being caused by the old version of derelict that you're using. I updated the derelict files on my computer and it compiled in a snap. Now it's complaining about the openal32.dll:

Quote:
Failed to load proc alGetSource3f from shared library OpenAL32.dll

I'm seeing about trying to find a version that works, but the openal website is acting up at the moment. You must be using a different version of the compiler if you didn't have the same problem of me, either that or I messed up the whole svn checkout thing. Which brings me to another question that popped up a while ago; Do I need any special permissions to commit things to the svn repository? I don't really have much experience with svn or cvs, so I'm a bit hesitant to touch anything.

Anyway thanks for being so patient with me. I just hope I'll be able to contribute something in the near future.
ChristianK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdave wrote:
Alright, your update fixed the first error, but the second error is being caused by the old version of derelict that you're using.

What were you trying to compile at the time and which file of derelict did you update in particular? I'm working under linux exclusively, so I'm glad you're trying to run the examples under windows: maybe there're more bugs like.

Quote:
Now it's complaining about the openal32.dll:

Yes, OpenAL is a dependency and if you don't have it, you need to get it from the official site.

http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=oalinst.exe

Quote:
You must be using a different version of the compiler if you didn't have the same problem of me, either that or I messed up the whole svn checkout thing.

I don't think you did - it's probably just the Linux/Windows thing.

Quote:
Which brings me to another question that popped up a while ago; Do I need any special permissions to commit things to the svn repository?

Yes you do. You have to authenticate with your forum username and password, but at the moment you don't have write access. I'll eventually mark you as a developer if you think you got the time to contribute more or less regularly - every hand is welcome: but get the compilation issues and the possible bugs sorted out first.

Quote:
I don't really have much experience with svn or cvs, so I'm a bit hesitant to touch anything.

At the moment you can't break anything, so just mess about, I hope it'll work once you got the OpenAL library installed....
genericdave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What were you trying to compile at the time and which file of derelict did you update in particular?

I was trying to compile the A, B, and C unit tests. On widows it seems to have a problem with the version of derelict you were using. I replaced everything in the derelict folder with the latest official release (except for openal since the version of the dll included did not work with it and the openal website's download section isn't responding). Anyway, after that it compiled and ran. Adraw works fine, Bfont opens and hangs (problem with the font file. Says it has an Access Violation), and Cgui says that it wants gui.xml (which isn't in the guibin folder).

Quote:
At the moment you can't break anything, so just mess about

Thank God
ChristianK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On widows it seems to have a problem with the version of derelict you were using. I replaced everything in the derelict folder with the latest official release

Okay. I think we should maybe stop including our own copy of derelict with arc. It was probably ment as a buffer against sudden derelict changes, but as derelict seems rather stable, I'm not sure that's neccessary.

Quote:
Bfont opens and hangs (problem with the font file. Says it has an Access Violation)

Want to try to track it down (and maybe improve the error messages in the process)? The only thing I can think off hand is that it didn't find "guibin/font.ttf", but you seem to have pulled that just fine.

Quote:
Cgui says that it wants gui.xml

Ah, I remember having that problem myself. I added gui.xml and layout.xml to guibin.

You'll probably want to get the font issues sorted out first as almost every program will use arc/font.d in some way. Good luck and feel free to ask if something seems odd.
genericdave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so the Error: Access Violation that I keep getting from Bfont.d seems to happen when you call glEndList() at the very end of the make_dlist() function in font.d. This most likely means that the problem lies with one of the opengl calls that happen between glNewList() and glEndList(). I know that's not too terribly informative but it's the most I can do at the moment.

Quote:
I think we should maybe stop including our own copy of derelict with arc.

I say leave it in. Makes it a bit easier to keep the build environment the same between computers. It'll just have to be updated every once in a while if there are any problems. Plus it's a bit of a pain to rummage through the derelict distro and get all the required folder. Up to you though.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added ARC_ keys so that if we decide to drop SDL it won't mess up people's codes, but I didn't want to mess up peoples codes who still used SDL keys. I planned to move away from 'SDL' defined stuffs, leaving the future open to a switch to GLFW (later abandoned because GLFW is abonded) but I want the option to switch away from SDL if necessary.

The unittests were broken when I last left them, missing .xml files for the GUI and missing codes. Maybe Christian K has fixed them though :)

As for the font problems, I'd advise trying to run http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=43 this program code first, because this is the code that ArcLib's font code is based off of. If you can not run this code, then maybe something is wrong with your graphics driver.

Also, I keep a separate derelict copy because I believe it is a waste of my time to be constantly synchronizing with the current version of derelict, and it makes it easier for people to get started with Arc.

Last edited by clayasaurus on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29 am; edited 3 times in total
ChristianK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say leave it in. Makes it a bit easier to keep the build environment the same between computers.

Quote:
Also, I keep a separate derelict copy because I believe it is a waste of my time to be constantly synchronizing with the current version of derelict, and it makes it easier for people to get started with Arc.

Right. I've updated our derelict copy to the newest version.

Quote:
The unittests were broken when I last left them, missing .xml files for the GUI and missing codes

I've looked through your gui thread and added the required files, so Cgui does work with guibin now.

Quote:
Alright so the Error: Access Violation that I keep getting from Bfont.d seems to happen when you call glEndList() at the very end of the make_dlist() function in font.d. This most likely means that the problem lies with one of the opengl calls that happen between glNewList() and glEndList().

Hm, I can't help you there. Maybe try a debugger or systematic commenting to find out exactly which gl call is causing the access violation.
genericdave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd advise trying to run http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=43 this program code first, because this is the code that ArcLib's font code is based off of.

Lesson 43 works like a charm. I'll try compiling arclib on another computer to see if it has the same problem. It could still be something unique to my computer.
KlausO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right. I've updated our derelict copy to the newest version.

Maybe it is easier to update when you use the svn:external property to include a specific revision of derelict into ArcLib ?

KlausO
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: