FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me getting started

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eelco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Please help me getting started Reply with quote

hi all,

Im glad ive found this site. seems like a good resource for everything D related.

Ive been programming in several BASIC languages and java for quite some time now, but i wanted more power and flexibility. I could never get used to c++ horrible syntax, so D seems like the right choice for me.

However, coming from languages where decent IDE's were the norm, im having a little trouble getting used to compilers, linkers and the command line in general. Unfortunatly there dont seem to be and 'getting started' tutorials around, so i hope some of you can help me.

Ive tried DIDE. i couldnt get it to find the compiler, all it did was opening my project folder when i hit run.

Ive tried several other editors, but they had either limited use, i couldnt get them working, or both.

Seaching these forums i came across someone saying 'just download dmd, unzip it, set the paths and youre ready to go'. however, i cant seem to find my way in the zipfiles from digitalmars, and dont i need dmc aswell?

As you can see i really dont have a clue whatsoever. Can someone give me a link to a stepwise tutorial on how to set up a D envirnoment, preferably not involving any command lines, or tell me how you do it?

it would be greatly appriciated!
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me getting started Reply with quote

Eelco wrote:
Can someone give me a link to a stepwise tutorial on how to set up a D envirnoment, preferably not involving any command lines, or tell me how you do it?
I'm afraid D is still at the point where command line techniques are required (IHMO). I've set up some instructions on setting up D. It's been a while since I've written it, but it should help you out. If you find any inaccuracies, please either fix the wiki page, or tell me about it here.

Since you mentioned you've programmed in some other language, you might also want to check out: Notes For Programmers Used To. Only a few of the differences are mentioned, but you might find it helpful.
Eelco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ive found it. going to check it out now, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: