FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI: Signal Slots library

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: FYI: Signal Slots library Reply with quote

DCouple is an inactive project (dcouple_0.2 is from 2004/09/17), but a new D library seems to be related to this idea.

Yesterday, Lutger Blijdestijn announced that he's released an initial version of his signals slots library at http://lutger.ifastnet.com/.
veelo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this project became inactive due to the problems related to the garbage collector. Existing connections keep objects alive, which is sort of counter the idea of Signals and Slots in a garbage collected language. It helped fed the discussion on "weak pointers" back then.

That problem has been sucessfully addressed by the Signal and Slot implementation in Indigo, http://www.uwesalomon.de/code/indigo/files/core/cmdtarget-d.html#Signals_and_slots , which uses its own memory management for signals and slots.

I still prefer the syntax of dcouple, but if I remember well you can't have both.

I do not know how Lutger's implementation faires with the garbage collector, I only had a quick glance at his documentation.

Bastiaan Veelo

Last edited by veelo on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who have been following the D newsgroups recently, this news is a few days old. But it can be hard to keep up with D news, so I'll mention the signals-and-slots news here anyway.

Walter suddenly decided to add some features to D to facilitate his vision for signals-and-slots and added a module called std.signals to Phobos.

So I guess there are at least 3 signals-and-slots projects now. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> dcouple All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: