FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Embedded D

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will D find its way into embedded software, and enhance development?
of course!
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
don't know/can't see benefit
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no way
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

RoaringPenguin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Embedded D Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm a software engineer for automotive control devices, and currently in search of new concepts concerning embedded software development including new programming languages.

Today's de-facto standard is C, which lacks of modularity and always causes trouble when distributing development of one system to several subcontractors. On the other hand, C++, C# or even Java are out of question, as they are much too clumsy.

As I've come across the D programming languages, I really have to say: that's exactly what I've been looking for, and I could imagine, there's not that much overhead compared to C! With the only exception, that (yet) there are no compilers for embedded controllers.

I'd like to know how others think about using D for this purpose. Maybe there are already plans or even efforts in doing D for platforms like PPC, TMS470, ST10 or NEC V850?

Kind Regards

Last edited by RoaringPenguin on Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Hohums

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Embedded D Reply with quote

RoaringPenguin wrote:

I'd like to know how others think about using D for this purpose. Maybe there are already plans or even efforts in doing D for platforms like PPC, TMS470, ST10 or NEC V850?

Kind Regards

Wellcome to D.

I haven't heard of any plans to do D for such systems although I'm very sure the D group would welcome it. One aim of D is to be cross-platform.

Now you need to run a recuitment drive <g>

One short cut would be to look into the gcc versions of D which have attached C to Walter's D front end.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wienczny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Embedded D Reply with quote

RoaringPenguin wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm a software engineer for automotive control devices, and currently in search of new concepts concerning embedded software development including new programming languages.

Today's de-facto standard is C, which lacks of modularity and always causes trouble when distributing development of one system to several subcontractors. On the other hand, C++, C# or even Java are out of question, as they are much too clumsy.

As I've come across the D programming languages, I really have to say: that's exactly what I've been looking for, and I could imagine, there's not that much overhead compared to C! With the only exception, that (yet) there are no compilers for embedded controllers.

Kind Regards

Well, you could write such a backend for my compiler project...

Stephan
RoaringPenguin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hohums: ok, there is an D frontend for gcc. Does that mean, it is possible to combine the D frontend and e.g. gcc's PPC-backend for generating PPC code? (Sorry, maybe this question is misplaced in this forum, but I've got to admit I was always used to do call 'make' without any further knowledge of compiler frontends/backendts etc. Embarassed)

@Wienczny: lol, I'll start immediately after you've successfully invented a spare time generator Wink
Hohums

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RoaringPenguin"]@Hohums: ok, there is an D frontend for gcc. Does that mean, it is possible to combine the D frontend and e.g. gcc's PPC-backend for generating PPC code? (Sorry, maybe this question is misplaced in this forum, but I've got to admit I was always used to do call 'make' without any further knowledge of compiler frontends/backendts etc. Embarassed)

I guess so. Now you know as much as I do on the subject. I suggest you contact David Friedman. The D gcc website is:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: