FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new hope...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: A new hope... Reply with quote

I’ve figured out a way in which I can combine my schoolwork with my 2D Game library. My computer classes this semester are…

Software Testing.
Networking
Object Oriented Design

Okay, so here’s my plan. I’m going to figure out how to use my software testing and object oriented design skills on Arc, so I can simultaneously study for my classes and work on my library at the same time. My networking class is purely theoretical, so I don't think I'll be able to implement a network after that class, unless I take the "Advanced Networking" class. This work will only go on during the weekday, which leaves me no time to do much else besides schoolwork.

So, .. I do not know how fast the development will go with this style, but I will try to keep you somewhat up to date.

~ Clay

Last edited by clayasaurus on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
sonicbhoc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRILLIANT! Thank you! Good thing you have such awesome classes Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that's pretty familiar. I used Yage last semester in my physics of sound class last semester with great results, and a previous rubbish c++ 3d engine two years ago in my asm class.

I'm actually taking a higher level computer graphics (opengl) class this semester, but it's mostly implementing small-ish things in glut so I don't know if I'll be able to take the approach again.

BTW, how far are you from finishing your degree? As long as you don't have to worry about code consuming your life, having a slowly developed project is better than none.

I don't know if I'm one to talk though. I had my first dream in PHP instead of English just a couple nights ago. Shocked
Lutger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, it's good to have priorities straightened out, hopefully it works out well for you. Sometimes it's not easy to change...

I'm glad Arc is somewhere in you priority list, looking at all the efforts you put in clearly it's something you liked to do no?

I'm trying to find a way to integrate coding in my life too, seeing as it is not my profession and it can take a lot of time. Plus I can abuse coding time as an escapism. (but there are worse escapisms...)

As for the development of Arc: would it be possible for people to make contributions which you can review / integrate or does this also take a lot of time? I have no experience with this, so I don't know the effort involved in coordination, maybe it is even more than developing yourself. (setting up guidelines, reviewing code, etc.)

Good luck with your grades. (well no luck but you know what I mean, I don't know how to put it in English)
Phr00t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Clay, ArcGames has the rollercoaster thrills and drama of a good ABC evening show...

"Oh, Physics can make it... or not.... Development ending.... a new hope! DOCTOR, CAN WE SAVE HIM!?!"

Laughing

Glad to hear you will be coming back to work on this project Very Happy

- jeremy
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutger - Soon it will be very easy for everyone to see what direction I will get done, because I am using my classes 'Vision and Scope' template to fully outline the full vision and scope of what this library would become in its final form. I will be very accepting of contributions, because if this project will ever get done in the short term future it will only be possible through help and contributions of others. Once I get this document done, I will post it here to make sure everyone, especially phr00t Razz , agree with it.

JoeCoder - I am a junior. A dream in PHP you say, or was it a nightmare Shocked

Phr00t - someday, not today, nor tomorrow, but the tomorrow after tomorrow, arc will have physics. I don't know how, or when, but as long as I am able to, it will happen.

Unless someone else has already wrote a 2d physics system that works, I will be creating one from scratch, and probably creating some sort of networking system from scratch as well, and an installer system from scratch after I create a GUI from scratch. Since I do not actually have the time to do this (currently), you can imagine how prolonged this project may become before it is ever finished.

I am sorry for all the drama, my ID and SuperEgo just ended their epic battle.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, for installers you should look at Inno Setup. Free, open source, drop dead easy with wizards that write install scripts for you and then let you fully customize those scripts; and powerful to. I can now write an installer for most things in 10 minutes.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inno setup is some good stuff. I believe that is what I used to package my 3059 game.

It shouldn't be too difficult to package together a basic network system based on TcpSocket?

The only thing I'm looking for now is a better sound library (or was this already implemented, the one that can play sounds at different pitches?)

The drama was rather exciting Very Happy Better than paying $9.50 at the movies... Smile
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inno Setup seems like a windows only thing?

hrm...
Logwad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
I am sorry for all the drama, my ID and SuperEgo just ended their epic battle.

Were there survivors? :)

But glad to hear you may have time to continue.

You know you want to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: