FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Development ending...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Development ending... Reply with quote

There will be no real development going on except small changes and bug fixes from now on.

My plans and goals in life are slightly changed and now with my 'new' life I do not have freetime to devote to developing a game library or games. My 'new' life entails...

1) Getting better grades in school
2) Volunteering + helping others in spare time

I have recently got some 'religion' and will try to do God's will and not my own selfish will before things in this world really take a turn for the worse, and try to warn others what is happening ( http://www.infowars.com ). Things like this scare me… ( http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42058 / http://www.cybertime.net/~ajgood/combine.html ) not to mention that the US economy is going to take a dive ( http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=?7BE18E95AF-DBFF-4EE4-ACF7-530A3CD714D3?7D&print=true&dist=printTop ) and that the world is at war.

Here is my last little 'spout' of development

1) Updating Arc v.1 to the current compiler
2) Ressurecting the old tutorials here on dsource

Every now and then I may do a little something but I can not promise anything!

I am sorry guys I feel like I have let you down but my life is changing and I just don't have time anymore, as my life priorities have changed.

~ Clay

Last edited by clayasaurus on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion can be a pretty vague word, so what type of religion? I'm a Christian myself. I just can't come up with any explaination of Jesus other than what history tells us Smile

Coding should never be the most important thing in life though, and I can understand if drastic measures are needed to change that.
Still sorry to see development end. I got married two months ago today and I've had less time than before, but I think I'll eventually hit a balance.

Last edited by JoeCoder on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Logwad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a christian, and am for the lack of a better word a "missionary". It's why coding is a hobby, and not my main time spender. And wy I suck at coding. :)

*by the way, where did you put the tutorials?*

You know you want to.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I hope someone can pick up where clay left off? ArcGames is a great library that I'd love to see continue, too many libraries fall short of completion with D Sad

Read this about terrorism: http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71642-0.html?tw=wn_index_3

And yes, the war we have been placed in sucks. I hope new administration improves upon the situation quickly *cough* impeachment *cough* Smile

I'm glad to hear you are working on getting better grades in school, and your helping out people on your spare time -- those are great things to do with your time. Just curious, I'm sure you told me this before, but are you a Computer Engineer / Scientist? Because programming on the side can help your career ALOT even if its not directly boosting your grades (I'm a lead software engineer at a microprocessor company, and although grades were a factor, knowing how to program through experience helps alot -- I know you already have quite a bit from the work you have done).

I'm sure you have your reasons for picking up a new religion, and I hope everything works out for you. I'd like to thank you for what you have contributed to the D community.

I am an atheist / agnostic myself... so I don't think there is a "God's will"; people use that excuse to do everything from help people with their spare time (when they are just generally "good" people) or kill people in their spare time ("bad" people). I'm glad you chose the first Smile However, I also believe everyone has the right to practice whatever religion they choose -- as long as they don't force it on others or do harm to others.

[edit ] On a completely different note -- are you sure your not getting depressed? Unfortunately, you can't take on all the worlds problems and solve them yourself...

Hope everything works out, thanks, and good luck
- jeremy
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've been gone for a while. I'm glad you D fellows are just about the nicest group of people there is Cool !

I've been exploring different religions, and my search for truth has lead me toward the path of Christ with the Bible as the authority. I write this with the love of God that I'm learning to overcome fear, doubt, and disbeleif.

My problem was that I let computers completely dominate my life, and the computer was my idol. Now I did love programming and computers a lot. I soon came to realize that I need to re-order my priorities. At the same time I became alarmed at what is happening in the world, such as the creation of microchips with GPS, full medical history records, social security number, the United Nations, the 'war on terrorism,' increased security and video camera recording, the "PATRIOT Act", suspicious 9-11-01 activities, rock music that advises people to worship the devil, etc. etc. Not to mention I take calc 2 this semester and need a good grade.

Then I started to read the bible, and when the word of God sank in it filled my heart with joy as opposed to the sadness I get from looking at the state of the world.

--------
A warning: I believe that the antichrist has tried to rise in the past through Hitler

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4360800110742625275&q=nazi+conspiracy
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3797889292300937848&q=nazi+conspiracy

If you watch these videos thoroughly and know anything about the Occult you will know what type of hidden powers were behind the rise of Nazism.

Jews were branded with numbers, and they were considered threats to the Nazi's. The nazi's elblem was a 'crooked cross,' Nazism was a form of 'crooked cristianity' and they destroyed Christian churches and replaced them with Nazi ones. Scores of illigitimate 'Aryan' babies were created, and for some reason the Occult love blonds.

The forces behind the rise of the Nazi's are still alive in well in the world today if you take time to research into it you can see it for yourself.

warning2: Do not put any microchips in yourself! Even in a life/death situtation. There will come a time when the beast will rise and force everyone to get one or die. Eternal life > life on this earth. I believe there will also come a time when the beast rises, it will holocast the Christians and Jews (who are washed by the blood of the lamb - Revelations). God says 'keep faith until death,' and we are in a time of history when it would be very possible for this 'beast' to arise as the savior of humanity who would 'unite all world governments and religions and peoples, and stop all human wars if we only give ourselves to him.' I think this may be the 'destruction of many through peace'
--------------

I think I have said enough. If I feel at peace about it I may develop a little bit more, but I will not promise anything. Definitely not this or next semester, maybe the break of summer.

Peace! God bless.

~ Clay
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I missed this discussion until now.

I think these matters might be better discussed outside of these forums. But I just wanted to mention a few things:

Clay, I'm very happy to hear that your searching the Bible seems to have opened your eyes to truth Very Happy. I hope you continue to study the Bible with care and sincerety. Such a basis of understanding in life is really what it is all about. No other task can match it in importance... much less software development and D. Smile

At the same time, please be careful not to allow yourself to be easily "manipulated" or distracted by the many "antichrist" conspiracies that pervade Christian religious movements, at least be shrewd and limit your extrapolations to what you can garner from your Bible studies. While there certainly may be truth in such matters, the reality is that the Bible warns about them and that is enough. People tend to get thoroughly caught up in details that really are counter-productive. Instead of persevering in their faith, they let the intricacies of such details feed a fear that distracts them from what their true purpose in life should be. (I'm not saying that you are taking this approach; I'm just hoping not.) We are to be wary, prepared, but not afraid.

These events are nothing new: Hitler and the Holocost are but landmarks in a long history of depravity and evil (others have probably killed more or similar numbers in history in other events), and many similar events have repeated themselves over the centuries, some even under the guise of religion, that were no less horrific. They are merely indicators of what this world consists of, where this world is headed, and why we are not to be surprised of what unfolds in the future.

The evils of this world are plainly apparent and need no embellishment. The Christian is merely to recognize that these events unfold as a matter of coarse, and we are neither to fear it, nor should be surprised as events take place: they are signs of what's to come as shown in the Bible. Meanwhile, we are here to walk the line, to live lives without hypocracy, to be examples of our faith in Jesus Christ, and to show others the path to salvation from sin.

Remember also, that the spirit of the "antichrist" has been ever present throughout history. And it's not just out there in that big ugly world... it's growing right inside the intranet of churches today as "Christianity" (both Protestant and Catholic) becomes overrun with doctrines and dogmatism that no longer represents the original Gospel of Christ and confuse those who seek to know this Gospel. The further the modern church gets away from the original Gospel, the closer it gets to a universalism in which morality is subjective. This is so insiduous because eventually the recognition of morality and sin disappear in a cloud of confusion, and the perception of need for salvation is all but lost; OR, at least, salvation is trifely "attained" with no obligation to persevere: Christianity merely becomes a license to sin.

This is plainly evident by the progressive indifference (often outright approval) of divorce, adultery, and promiscuity in many of the modern churches; salvation becomes a license to sin; and "Christian" becomes another trinket of a term for serving oneself (humanism). I think these are good reasons realise that the Antichrist might very well be one that appears from the inside while everybody is looking outside. The majority will not expect it. The rest of the world will be more likely to accept a Church that no longer has a message against sin and no longer preaches a Gospel of Christ that thrusts to the very heart of their conscience.

I strongly believe that true Christianity still exists and resists, and so it always will; but it's not one that resides in the churches of our day (I should say "most"; I'm sure there are a few good churches out there still, but my point is more significant in that the church is the believer and not the building). It's in the hearts of individuals that seek and serve the Lord Jesus in sincerety and truth, day by day (no not on the weekend only), who look and study the Bible in truth and hope, who humble their hearts in recognition of their own fraility and weakness, who reject sin and hate it, not because they think they are untouchable, above it, or perfect, but because they know first hand what corruption it brings to their lives, and what bountiful joy and relief salvation from it offers. We live in hope, not fear. We endure because of that hope and love for our Saviour, and reject and battle the fleshly satisfaction of sin because we know the lasting cruelty and bondage it always brings and know the eternal joy obedience to Christ offers in this life and the next.

Whoa!

I just wrote a truckload. I apologize for writing so much. This is a topic also close to my heart so it is difficult for me to restrain myself, sometimes.

To those that think I'm quite odd for writing something like this... well, get used to it. Most should know me by now. I've been in the D community awhile and am quite open about these things. Very Happy

Take care,

John

PS. Clay... email me anytime.

(BRAD: feel free to delete posts... my apologies for extending the discussion).
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phr00t wrote:
I am an atheist / agnostic myself... so I don't think there is a "God's will"; people use that excuse to do everything from help people with their spare time (when they are just generally "good" people) or kill people in their spare time ("bad" people). I'm glad you chose the first Smile However, I also believe everyone has the right to practice whatever religion they choose -- as long as they don't force it on others or do harm to others.

It's safer to say Agnostic than Athiest because an Athiest has no way of proving there is no God. Agnosticism is the useful fallback for people that haven't thought about an existance of God, don't want to think about it, or find the matter impossible to figure out (the latter is probably the more academic of the three).

I want to point out that people use many reasons to do what they want (whether to help or hurt people) ranging from "it feels good" or "it improves my karma", to "I get tax credits when I help out". It's thus a very weak argument to say that "God" is just an excuse. Such excuses have no relevance to whether a belief is valid or invalid. It just means that humans are opportunists and will often find ways to justify their actions. But you really have no way of knowing how sincere a person is or why they want to help someone. I assume that Clay chose the "first", not as an excuse (can't think why that would be an excuse anyway), but because that's what real Christianity is about.

Your statement is much like me saying that you are an agnostic/athiest because because it gives you freedom from any moral obligations (such as those mandated in Christianity), so that you can be free to do as you wish or whatever feels good to you. I'm sure you wouldn't agree with this reasoning.

Worldviews are indeed a choice. They should not be forced on anyone and should not hurt people. A few religions do hurt people as a natural part of their practice (with willing participants, no less) and are forced on some. Agnosticism does not account for why doing so is wrong, since it doesn't have a basis to decide what is right and wrong other than perhaps societies values; these are subjective and change with time, meaning something that was "good" at one time becomes "bad" later. Vice versa.

On the other hand, Christianity does account for right and wrong.

-JJR
Phr00t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR -- some good posts, I'm glad there are Christians like yourself that exist.

Quote:
an Athiest has no way of proving there is no God

You are correct. I also have no way of proving there is no Flying Spaghetti Monster... so rationally, they both have the same chance of existing. I have given the existance of God some thought, and I am left skeptical. You have to remember, being able to prove that God doesn't exist is by no means evidence that he/she does exist.

Again, I want to point out that you have had some good posts JJR, and I agree with much of what you said. What I believe is the bottom line is -- you need to do some thinking for yourself, you need to be able to do some critical thinking of your own. Do not follow blindly ANY doctrine. This includes Atheism and Christianity.

Quote:
It just means that humans are opportunists and will often find ways to justify their actions.

You are right. However, God and religion are usually very deeply emotional and personal concepts -- ones that people rarely allow themselves to question. Therefore, whatever that religion asks you to do will be seen as "God" asking you to do these things; I'm saying, it can be very easy to get many people to do things without question for the sake of their "God", which isn't a good thing. Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is true in all situations and all people.

Quote:

That is a big difference between Agnostics and Christians... we Agnostics have the ability to question our reality, and figure out what is right or wrong as new information / technology develops. (Fundamental?) Christians like to extract "absolute" rights/wrongs from the Bible without debate or modification.

And yes, this is strange to have spilled into a D source forum... but I love ArcGames and I don't want to see its development stop Sad Can't Clay save the world AND develop ArcGames? Very Happy

- jeremy
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phr00t wrote:
Quote:
an Athiest has no way of proving there is no God

You are correct. I also have no way of proving there is no Flying Spaghetti Monster... so rationally, they both have the same chance of existing. I have given the existance of God some thought, and I am left skeptical. You have to remember, being able to prove that God doesn't exist is by no means evidence that he/she does exist.

Yes, naturally. I hope you didn't feel that I was implying that. Smile I merely believe that the existance of everything we see points in that direction of a Creator. I'm not worried about trying to prove it since that is something God alone must do for each person. Arguing the matter usually goes nowhere.

By the way, I disagree that the FSM has the same chance of existing as God. The assumption is that the FSM and God are both fabrications of one's intellect. Christians do believe that God is much more self-evident and that chance isn't responsible for the amazing consistancy that the Bible contributes to the defintion of the worldview. Smile

The FSM was primarily a concoction attempting to deride or discredit the idea of Intelligent Design. I consider the FSM "religion" to be a rather shallow and limited example, more engineered out of spite, than a solid philosophical comparison. *sigh*... it's the current popular argument, these days, however, so it sticks around.

Phr00t wrote:
Again, I want to point out that you have had some good posts JJR, and I agree with much of what you said. What I believe is the bottom line is -- you need to do some thinking for yourself, you need to be able to do some critical thinking of your own. Do not follow blindly ANY doctrine. This includes Atheism and Christianity.

Critical thinking is a must. I most heartily agree with this.

Phr00t wrote:
Quote:
It just means that humans are opportunists and will often find ways to justify their actions.

You are right. However, God and religion are usually very deeply emotional and personal concepts -- ones that people rarely allow themselves to question. Therefore, whatever that religion asks you to do will be seen as "God" asking you to do these things; I'm saying, it can be very easy to get many people to do things without question for the sake of their "God", which isn't a good thing. Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is true in all situations and all people.

Yes, I agree. The use of "God" as a disclaimer has always been and will always be a very visible example, unfortunately. Whether it's bad or good is usually judged on the final outcome. That's why it becomes so critical for Christians to be so careful how they represent their convictions because what they do and what they say tell much. I understand flippant references to "God" are indeed becoming a huge probelm in the world today. And I find that disturbing.

Ph00t wrote:
Quote:

That is a big difference between Agnostics and Christians... we Agnostics have the ability to question our reality, and figure out what is right or wrong as new information / technology develops. (Fundamental?) Christians like to extract "absolute" rights/wrongs from the Bible without debate or modification.

Yes, there is a big difference. The "figuring out" part amounts to the changing/subjective rendering of morals; it's rather hit and miss. This is not necessarily a bonus for Agnosticism. Wink

In Christianity, it's not so much that Christians like to extract absolute right and wrongs: absolutes happen to be the basis of the whole belief system as becomes quite obvious from a little Bible reading. Unfortunately these quite clear "right and wrongs" get horribly muddled as corruption in the churches proliferate. (The modern "Fundamentalist" movement, by the way, depending on what that refers to, is not so fundamental as it may seem it terms of basic Chritianity and ideals. Corruption and distortion is everywhere; most often, people use the word "Fundamentalism" to refer to something Baptist/Republican/American mixed with much dogmatism; I would be afraid to align myself with any such term).

Phr00t wrote:
And yes, this is strange to have spilled into a D source forum... but I love ArcGames and I don't want to see its development stop Sad Can't Clay save the world AND develop ArcGames? Very Happy

Oh man, I was dumb enough to continue it. Smile Oh well, take it easy, Jeremy, and thank you for being such a gentleman.

I agree ArcGames is a good project, but I understand where Clay is coming from. It's different things for different people. Some things enrapture us so much, that it's good to remove ourselves from the "addiction". Maybe for Clay, readjusting priorities is important. I won't discourage him in this matter. I've certainly had to do such major readjustments myself. ArcGames, however, will likely survive, I'm sure. Smile

-JJR
Phr00t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, good post.

I just had a long lunch break here at work, and somehow the conversation became philosophy... so I *should* be working, but yet I'm talking more philosophy! Razz

With the FSM, yes, it is a fabrication of one's intellect. I believe the argument is that someone can come up with a definition of "a supreme being" and it would be equivelant to God. Therefore, God could be described as also a fabrication of one's intellect. I could expand the definition of the FSM, and make up FSM v2.0 that is more "self-evident", write a book about FSM v2.0 stories and call that the FSM v2.0 Bible.

There are just so many religions, and people think their God exists (or doesn't exist) just as strongly as you believe your God exists. They have the right to believe these things -- but when you look at everyone fighting over religion, I step back and say "Nobody knows what the hell they are talking about!"

Everyone just wants an answer to the biggest questions life has given us... I just don't think we've answered it. In addition, if everyone thinks they already have the solution, it will slow the progress of the 'real' answer. BUT, the real answer might suck and nobody will be willing to accept it. So, after all is said and done -- just believe what you want to believe in, and enjoy your life!

I also just want Clay to know that he was helping this community with things like ArcGames -- people cared here for his progress in that regard. I'm sure he has found more important things to do, but he will always be welcome back!

JJR -- since we have so much time to rant on Dsource, maybe we should use this time to work on ArcGames instead? Very Happy I believe I still have SVN access... I'm working on FreeUniverse which uses ArcGames -- I'm not sure what the state of sound support in ArcGames was (upgrading to some other sound library?). I also would like to add game networking support to ArcGames (something simple with sockets).

[ edit ] Clay -- is the SVN equal to what is in the Arc v.1 ZIP file? Or is the SVN left in some work-in-progress Arc v.2 state?

- jeremy
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'd love to respond to your post (so hard not to Smile )... I guess I have to end this discussion for now lest I be banned from here, permanently... he he. I'm certainly not adverse to discussing it via email, however. Smile

Jeremy, I'm already involved in a couple of projects, sorry; if I take on another, I'll be stretched way too thin and be unable to accomplish anything on any project. I have very little time for another, I'm afraid. Clay was good at this one too, and I don't think I could do it justice. I'm still desirous of getting a OOP style glfw library made for D. That has been put aside for now because of life and other tasks.

I'll be gone on a trip now for the next few days. When I get back, I'll see what's going on in here. Hopefully someone can lend a hand on ArcGames to keep it afloat. Smile

All the best,

-JJR
Logwad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone has the tutorials, I would be happy to host them on my site. As all the links seem to be broken, and I still need them to figure out how to get everything set up. :\

You know you want to.
csauls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do take care clay, and always do what you feel is right. You will be sorely missed, but I can understand only too well the need for proper priorities.

(And how did this all come up?) I'm not Christian myself, but a co-affiliate of Kemetic Orthodoxy, and Lycian Wicca, so I know a thing or two about how religion can "jump up and bite you" one day. When we feel the call, we feel it - no chance to say, "Not right now, please. Do come back next year perhaps." No, the veil drops when it chooses (or when the Grand Architect of the Universe chooses, it seems sometimes). I wish you only the best in your pursuit of Truth: that's all any of us can ever hope for, is to keep in sight of that ultimate goal.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logwad wrote:
If someone has the tutorials, I would be happy to host them on my site. As all the links seem to be broken, and I still need them to figure out how to get everything set up. :\

You mean.... these tutorials: http://www-users.mat.uni.torun.pl/~h3r3tic/dmedia/?n=Main.Tutorials ?
Logwad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed!

Thanks for the link, I am now filled with glee.

You know you want to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: