FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 13th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: August 13th Reply with quote

Today I slept in till 1:00 PM and weedwhacked, and ended up messing with an old TRS-80 model 3, so not much work got done. I got (almost) 4 opcodes done. This means there are 9 opcodes left: three "core" opcodes, and six opcodes for exception handling. I call the first three "core" because the exception handling opcodes are kind of sugar; without them, I can still run and test most of the language.

The VM is going much faster than I anticipated. This is kind of fun.

Edit - I posted this at 1:00 AM on the 14th, but it's really the update for the 13th.
csauls

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Tandy, Batman!

My very first foray into programming was in BASIC/1a on a TRS-80 Model 4P. I ended up taking the thing apart later, out of curiousity of its internals. After examining all the boards and puzzling over them, I found that I honestly wasn't certain how to get it all back together again (thus I learned to keep records of everything when possible). So... I hooked all the wiring back up anyhow, hit the button, and the darn thing worked just fine. For many months my computer was in two different drawers of a dresser, with the screen sitting on top with a cut cardboard box to cover it...

Wow, sorry. You just dredged up some fond old memories. Smile
JarrettBillingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty funny Smile

Unfortunately I kind of missed out on those early days of computing, but my Dad managed to hold on to some older computers, so I've been able to experience them vicariously Wink We've got that TRS-80, a Commodore 64 (which sadly no longer works), a Data General 1 (very early laptop), a big "portable" Compaq the size of a large suitcase with a keyboard that latches onto the front, and.. that's it. I wish we would have held onto some of the old Compaq 386 desktops we used to have; would have been fun to play around with!
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JarrettBillingsley wrote:
That's pretty funny Smile

Unfortunately I kind of missed out on those early days of computing, but my Dad managed to hold on to some older computers, so I've been able to experience them vicariously Wink We've got that TRS-80, a Commodore 64 (which sadly no longer works), a Data General 1 (very early laptop), a big "portable" Compaq the size of a large suitcase with a keyboard that latches onto the front, and.. that's it. I wish we would have held onto some of the old Compaq 386 desktops we used to have; would have been fun to play around with!

Ohh.. a nostalga thread. Sweet. Smile

I cut my teeth on a C64 many moons ago. I still have fond memories of playing Jumpman and watching my parents try to type in reams of BASIC code* in the faint hope of getting something that will be worth saving to tape. While I still have it, and another complete C64 rig I salvaged, both suffer from dying SID chips - so they're quietly molding away in the closet, waiting for donor parts.

As for that 386 Jarret, I'd kill for a working one now just so I could run some of the older demos (www.pouet.net**) that just choke on newer machines. Besides, it's just more impressive to show that kind of stuff off on the original hardware that stuff was intended for.

(* back when you could buy software in print)
(** the 4K demos from Assembly.org this year blew me away)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MiniD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: