FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What this project is and is not

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think I should try drinking something other than a bottle of wine before posting?
Yes.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
How much is it for a case?
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Have another bottle. You might make more sense.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Cabal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: What this project is and is not Reply with quote

First of all:

What this project is...
    A least effort/most reward endeavour - if I wanted to do this properly I would have started with the gcc front-end.
    A very simple brute force approach (only in so much as I can't think of the corollary for intelligent and deft or subtle). On second thoughts try simplistic and plodding (in the one foot after the other sense). Don't expect to be wow'ed by my coding skills. I keep them on ice for national emergencies.
    Think. What doesn't dmd like to see in modules? Now get rid of it or change it to something dmd does like. Think again. Repeat ad nauseam. You get the idea.
    A whole lot more trouble than I would ever have thought when I first started it. Practice does not make perfect! They lied!
    This is C++ (of a sort). Any C++ refugees should walk away now. Go on now. Nothing to see here.
    This is also boost::spirit - one of the most *constructive* *misuses* of operator overloading I have ever had the fortune/misfortune to come across. God help Walter if I ever manage to implement the D equivalent.
    Unfinished. See 'What this project is not...'

and:

What this project is not...
    Anything remotely intelligent or difficult in *principle* to accomplish (see 'What this project is..' - and now define angst, the self serving sort that no-one appreciates)
    Debuggable at anything higher than the printf level. Go on. I dare you.
    Quick to compile.
    Ready for release unto the unsuspecting (I would have put 'masses' at the end there, but I'm not that delusional yet). But don't think that that means you're safe.
    Complete. You see the 'alpha' on the project home page? Brad ain't kidding - and he hasn't even seen the code.

Anyway. Enough of that. There will be a release (or files in subversion) in the next couple of days for your masochistic pleasure. Feel free to have a look and knock my code for the stinkin' pile'o'crap that it is - don't be too put out if I ignore you, I have a re-inforced tinfoil hat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> h2d All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: