FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unicode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bellthorpe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Unicode Reply with quote

Will the project have inbuilt Unicode support?
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unicode Reply with quote

Bellthorpe wrote:
Will the project have inbuilt Unicode support?

Limited support. Initially it will only be able to read unicode source files and support assignment using unicode literals (strings and chars).

Support for language specific operations (comparisions, case conversions, text direction, etc...) will be left to external libraries - mostly interfacing to the IBM unicode effort (ICU) I suspect.

I suppose I'll work out how to support unicode identifier names eventually, but for now I'm restricting them to ASCII characters.

And as for encoding formats, UTF8, UTF16 and UTF32, I hope to provide transparent conversion between them as well as specific functions to convert between them.

There are no plans to provide functions to convert between UTF and other encoding schemes, such as codepages or EBCDIIC.
Bellthorpe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

What I had in mind was I/O ... the ability to display Unicode text in a field, and receive Unicode input (from an IME, for example) ...
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellthorpe wrote:
Thanks,

What I had in mind was I/O ... the ability to display Unicode text in a field, and receive Unicode input (from an IME, for example) ...

Reading in Unicode is no big problem except for deciding on its encoding (UTF8/16/32) with or without a BOM.

Output depends totally on the underlying display system. Sure we can send Unicode data out but can the display system handle it? For DOS apps we are pretty much screwed as there is only one font/code page combination that works. For Windows we have better success but we are limited to UTF16 output, not that that should matter. And we shouldn't waste too much time on Win95 support. Linux I have no idea about at all.

Output to files is no drama at all, so long as we follow some convention about encoding it predictably.

Euphoria is most suited to handling UTF32 encoding internally and thus conversion to/from other encodings is only an issue at the user interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Freudo All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: